Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print is inverted

Posted by wardenm92 
Print is inverted
May 16, 2013 11:56AM
I have encountered an odd problem with inversion of my prints. I have included a couple pictures to describe the problem. The object on the right is the X-End-Motor bracket and according to the STL screenshot, the motor support should be toward the back of the machine. All objects with symmetry print fine obviously but when it comes to asymmetrical prints all of the features seem to be inverted. The objects are oriented the same in both pictures (according to the LM8UU holders).

This happened to another one of my prints. On the calibration page of the RepRap Wiki under the Print Precision section, there is a precision block that I tried printing. The overhangs printed correctly but the shapes were in the wrong position. The small hexagon was where the large hexagon should have been, triangle was pointing the wrong way etc...

I hope I explained this issue well enough and I bet this is a stupid simple fix. Thanks for the help!
Attachments:
open | download - X-End-STL.JPG (64.5 KB)
open | download - X-End-Print.JPG (577.9 KB)
Re: Print is inverted
May 16, 2013 12:00PM
Looks like your y axis is inverted. What happens when you move the Y axis manually? Larger Y values should move the table forward while smaller values should move it to the back. Check your firmware configuration. There's usually a simple setting to invert an axis.
May 16, 2013 12:13PM
When using Repetier-host or Pronterface I tell the Y-axis to move 'down' which moves the table to the front of the machine. And 'up' moves it to the back. This matches perfectly from a top point of perspective on the machine. I tell the X-axis to move 'right' (East) and it does. I tell Y-axis to move 'down' (South) and it moves in that direction. So I'm guessing inversion within the firmware and physically switching the wires is two different things? Edit: Not sure what I was thinking. Thanks for the help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2013 12:38PM by wardenm92.
May 16, 2013 07:31PM
I had the exact same issue earlier this year, this fixed it.
May 16, 2013 07:50PM
Yes that hit the nail on the head. Thanks a lot guys.
May 16, 2013 09:35PM
If you're happy wth that solution fine, but the fact is that the front of the table - with the table all the to the back - is the Y=0 point. Don't think of the table moving - think of the head moving. At the Y=0 point, the head has "moved" all the way forward.
May 16, 2013 10:20PM
jbernardis has it right.

The controls are head relative. If the head doesn't more in the Y direction (Most printer designs) then the bed must move in the opposite direction.

The Down on Pronter face means Move the Head down to the front edge of the Bed.
May 16, 2013 10:37PM
Yeah that makes perfect sense. I'm not sure why I didn't see it like that from the beginning.
May 16, 2013 10:44PM
Funny thing is that despite my knowing this, when I try to move the bed manually I almost always hit the wrong button firstsmiling smiley
May 16, 2013 11:11PM
I actually did that quite a few times earlier today. I had to stop and think logically before I clicked the next button tongue sticking out smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login