Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Awful Eiffel

Posted by leadinglights 
Awful Eiffel
June 18, 2013 09:05AM
I am having a bit of a problem printing out a model of the Eiffel Tower. The thinest struts come out as little more than a string of blobs, but only slightly thicker struts and girders come out quite acceptably

[forums.reprap.org]

Apologies for the picture - which is the lowest boxed part on one orf the legs and shows the bad struts closest, inner struts just behind are quite good and bridging at the top looks fine.

The source I am using is [www.thingiverse.com] - Eiffel Tower , Split into 4 parts by beardface. I am pronting at 320% of original size - about 160mm across the base. Sliced by Slic3r 0.9.10b. I do know that I am getting a problem with strings and need to set more retraction on my bowden type extruder, and possibly a bit of Z lift, but this seems to be a different problem.

So far I played around with feed rated, extruder feed rates and temperature, but to no effect.

Any thoughts or critique on this will be welcomed.

Mike

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2013 07:06AM by leadinglights.
Attachments:
open | download - Eiffel2A.JPG (99.6 KB)
Re: Awful Eiffel
June 18, 2013 02:17PM
To be honest, it doesn't look 'that' bad...
June 19, 2013 07:17AM
Not 'that' bad compared to what? I would be happier if the foreground strut had even a bit of structure.

Mike
June 19, 2013 06:36PM
You are focussing just on that strut, but judging by the quality in the other struts, I think it's just an error that happens once. Try to print it again! It doesn't look like you have any wrong settings.

Anyway, did you try playing with retraction settings? This will also minimize the strings between each pillar.
June 20, 2013 01:00PM
I agree that doesn't look that bad. I wouldn't mess with feedrates once they've been properly calibrated. My two suggestions would be using the Z-lift setting or some support material.
June 20, 2013 02:09PM
There is a high likelihood of the slicer not making code for all of it. I would look through the code in a viewer and then try using a narrower extrusion width to see if it creates more code. I sliced it much smaller with Kisslicer and gave the info on the required extrusions etc in this thread [forums.reprap.org]

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 21, 2013 04:13AM
Spot on. Thanks Sublime.

I looked at the view on Repetier in the G Code Editor and it showed what was printed out to an almost sureal level of detail - like the first 4 layers of one of the struts being O.K., followed by unfilled bits.

Mike.
June 21, 2013 11:45AM
No problem your print was almost perfect and I did not think it was possible that the problem was mechanical with the results of the other struts and the fact you said it printed a little larger without problem.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login