Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is it possible to print a curve in XorY + Z?

Posted by Inthebay 
Is it possible to print a curve in XorY + Z?
September 17, 2013 03:49AM
Hey all,

The normal way for printers is to step up in Z, and then print the layer shells and infil in X and Y. Now, this is all well and good, but I have trouble with the strength of this setup. Because the strength of the ABS (what I print in) is dependent on the orientation of the strands/layers, some parts that I have are weaker or have a poor surface finish due to this constraint.

I have a part that has a slope in X and Z, is it possible to print the layers of this part, then print some sort of finish layer in the Z+X axis simultaneously, this would (I believe) greatly increase the strength of this part.

Does anyone have any experience/info/knowledge to share on the topic?

Thanks!
Re: Is it possible to print a curve in XorY + Z?
September 17, 2013 06:55AM
Not sure what you mean but I'm intrigued!
Can you post the STL?

September 17, 2013 08:03AM
You would need at least a 4 axis machine and some advanced software.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
September 17, 2013 07:43PM
I cant post the STL, but I can make something to prove the point. I will model it up after classes today.

Essentially, imagine a cube, and then make a circle centered on one of the points and cut that profile. You have a nice cut curve in the corner of the cube. Now, is it possible to, through the use of an extended hotend nozzle (to deal with the curve geometry. To lay the cube and curve in steps, but then go over the steps moving in one direction, lets say x, while simultaneously moving up the same distance in Z, in order to create a filament layed upwards in a curve.

like drawing a circle in the XY plane, but doing so in the XZ plane.
August 01, 2014 04:24PM
There are G-code commands for this sort of thing, but you can't make use of them on a 3D printer w/o taking into account whether or no the print head and gantry will bump into your print.

If you took that into account, it should be possible to get a nice even curve.
August 01, 2014 09:11PM
Actually I saw a video recently on this, a guy was setting up funding (kickstarter or similar) to make the software. He showed a gentle slope being printed and the nozzle moved in all 3 azxis at once following the contour of the shape. Now there would be limitations on how small the arc of the shape could be as you could end up running the side of the nozzle into the print but it was a neat idea and I beleive it was all software (but I would not swear to it).

I think someone posted a link to it in these forums 2-3 weeks ago if I remember right.
August 01, 2014 09:30PM
Old thread this but this may be what he was on about...confused smiley

[www.thingiverse.com]

Click here to login