Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print surface quality issue. [SOLVED]

Posted by tookys 
Print surface quality issue. [SOLVED]
November 05, 2013 11:11AM
I have been using a Airwolf 3D V5.5 printer for a while now and have made some greaqt progress on getting higher quality prints.

Im wondering if anybody knows how to adress this issue that im having where the surface is rather inconsistent.

The attached pic shows 3 parts and the part in the middle is the one im reffering to for needing help with.

-right side- the green piece is a sample part that was sent with the printer.
-middle- the blue piece in the middle is the wine stopper that im trying to get to be as high quality as possible
-left side- the blue piece on the left has been through a ahlf hour of a vapor bath.

The blue pieces were made using a .35mm nozzle at a .2mm layer hieght, not sure about the green piece. any advice is helpful let me know if yall have any ideas of what to try.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2013 08:37AM by tookys.
Attachments:
open | download - 20131105_094829_resized.jpg (210.6 KB)
open | download - resolved.jpg (567.3 KB)
Re: Print surface quality issue.
November 05, 2013 08:30PM
Those imperfections look like layer change blobs.

November 06, 2013 10:33AM
the blobs are from an overcompensation of extrusion in a small area, such as when motion is not smooth. either turn down jerk settings in firmware, modify acceleration, or look for mechanical issues such as belt tension, and carriage jamming. make sure fan wires, electrical wires and any degree is free from rods used on x axis. check for carriage slop. make carriage bushings to z rod are secure, and oil up the carriage rods once more.
Re: Print surface quality issue.
November 06, 2013 10:51AM
Thanks jamesdanielv, I'll give that a try next chance i get. needing to fix an elecrical issue atm.

Also looking more closely at the print i think the major issue is the fact that those blobs are just where the profiles start and stop for each perimeter. (see attached) there is still some other inconsistancies which i think jamesdanielv's suggestions may help with.

[EDIT]
I have figured out what was causing my surface quality issues.

It wasnt entirely related to the printer.

I reduced the speed a little, but what helped more was to look at my .stl file. i had designed this part in solidworks, but when i exported it i had my .stl with a .001 deviation. Which means that my triangles were rather large, I changed it to .0001 and it seems to be working great now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2013 08:35AM by tookys.
Attachments:
open | download - 3d print profile sample.png (567.5 KB)
open | download - 3d printer profile loop.png (452.9 KB)
open | download - 3d printer profile loop 2.png (474.3 KB)
open | download - 3d printer profile loop vapor.png (438.5 KB)
open | download - resolved.jpg (567.3 KB)
Re: Print surface quality issue. [SOLVED]
November 13, 2013 01:59PM
@tookys
Did you ever have something that looked like this? [forums.reprap.org] Maybe that's part of the problem I've been seeing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login