Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is the key to printing really small items?

Posted by vetteguy112233 
What is the key to printing really small items?
December 04, 2013 01:39PM
My son has a little E-flite Blade MCX helicopter and broke a piece. Yeah the piece is only $4, but I would like to make it if possible. See the following link for a picture of the item:

[www.heliproz.com]

It's the white piece that I'm trying to recreate. I've spec'd it out with my digital calipers to the best of my ability and have recreated it in Google Sketchup. I've attached the Gcode and SKP files.

When I try to print, it gets about 5mm high and quits outputting plastic. The current attachments are with a brim and at 0.1mm height. I've tried printing at 50% speed, 20% and 25% speeds, but it just doesn't want to print properly.

I assume it's because everything is so small, so I guess this is where I need the help. Any suggestions are welcome!

My machine specs:
Makerfarm, Prusa I3, 8" heated bed, .50mm hotend with 3mm ABS filament.

THANK YOU!!!
Attachments:
open | download - boomadapter.skp (56.3 KB)
open | download - boomadapter.gcode (160 KB)
Re: What is the key to printing really small items?
December 04, 2013 02:35PM
The key to small prints are.

PLA
Lots of cooling from fans.
Constant pressure in the hotend (minimal retracts or none).
Having the extrusion width set just right for the layer height (do NOT use SLIC3R default widths)(I recommend Kisslicer, Cura or Skeinforge for all prints not just the small ones)
Set the speeds slow enough to maintain a low volume per second while maintaining extrusion pressure in the hotend.
Set temperature to the correct temp for such a low extrusion rate.

After winning the tiny printing competition here on the forum I started writing my calculator and added object size compensation to it based on what I learnt. You can find the calculator in my signature, just be sure to use the intermediate or higher with your machine and be sure to set at least both your steps per mm, desired layer height, filament size and nozzle size as well as the object size. It will give you the best layer height, extrusion width, speed and approximate temperature based on your steps per mm (E and Z), layer height, nozzle size and object size.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
December 04, 2013 08:11PM
That's great information, but I've got a lot of ABS. Any tips for using it, or does it just not work?
December 04, 2013 08:50PM
vetteguy112233
That's great information, but I've got a lot of ABS. Any tips for using it, or does it just not work?

I know that it works and should be similar but I have no experience with it. A user that goes by DirtySteve has printed really small in ABS so yes it can be done. The only thing to do is try with the settings my calculator gives and see how it comes out. It is commonly known not to use cooling fans with ABS because of the layers shrinking and delaminating. But with such a small object it may not cause problems and may actually help (but that is only speculation).

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
December 04, 2013 08:53PM
You've given me some really good info. I'll give it a try.

Thanks for all the help!
December 04, 2013 10:24PM
When I print small with ABS I print on painter's tape with no bed heat. I run a print fan mounted on my X carriage and a bed fan mounted on the frame of my printer.

Print with a brim to help first layer adhesion, and if needed print 2 or 4 or more at a time for extra cooling time between layers. I run my ABS at 210C, helps to be a little bit lower on hotend temperature but you need to watch for weaker layer adhesion. Brush your parts with acetone to help strength.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login