Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print looks wierd.

Posted by TRoager 
Print looks wierd.
January 20, 2014 06:12AM
Hello Folks.

i just got started with my printing and was wondering if some of you could help me.

Errors in the past:
Z-Wobble
Low Temp on Bed
Extruder stripping filament.

All these errors should be fixed now. i got correct bed temperature and my Z-wobble is almost gone ( Looks much better now) and the filament stripping should be gone now.

now im onto a new problem.
When im printing big objects ( i tried the Snap together lamp) like the lamp shade it begins and it looks nice. Then after a while it makes some form of bubble or wierd extrusion on the print( refering to the picture).

What to do about it ? have anyone been having this issue smiling smiley ?

Thanks in advance
Attachments:
open | download - foto (1).JPG (92.8 KB)
Re: Print looks wierd.
January 20, 2014 09:52AM
Just a shot in the dark... I've gotten prints like that when I had slic3r configured to do the inside perimeter first. Setting it to outside perimeter first may fix it.
January 20, 2014 10:33AM
Hmm, im not sure why it should fix it ?

Ps. i got a Prusa i3 Framed box, and using Pronterface and slic3r. Cura isnt working nicely for me.
January 21, 2014 07:20AM
It would be nice if we knew what we were looking at. Is it the side? Is it the top? It's not a clear image and it's not in your description.

About the perimeter order, you can question if it would work, or of course try it and see if it works smiling smiley
January 21, 2014 11:15AM
Oh sorry about that. Its the bubbling from the middle and up smiling smiley
It starts quite Nice with good layers.

I tried with external perimeters and doesnt seem to do it but i havent printed any large objects yet smiling smiley
January 22, 2014 02:20PM
Try to print two of them at the same time. If the result is better, you are printing too fast (not allowing the layers cool enough).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 02:34PM by jkoljo.
January 22, 2014 02:24PM
Looks like the hotend is getting warm up high after a certain time printing and that causes the material to jam and not extrude correctly after that point. Do you have a fan cooling the thermal barrier of your hotend? If not I would add one. Also if the hotend is a clone form china I would just throw it away and get a new one unless you like fighting issues like these.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
January 22, 2014 02:59PM
My hotend is a RESCO Hotend, made it my selv on a machine so should be perfect. Resco Hotend

i got a fan on the cold end (thermal barrier).
All metal hotend ofc.

ill try tomorrow and print another model and see if i still get it smiling smiley
January 24, 2014 05:10PM
Looks like i solved the problem for now, im waiting for it to be done. I had to wait because i were missing some filament smiling smiley
January 28, 2014 03:22AM
i printed a new object, and looks like i solved the problem. looks like all the problems i have are the slic3r i use. so i changed to Cura and some of my objects seems to be much better and also alittle off.

Maybe some of you could help me configuring my slicer (Cura, Slic3r or skeinforge), maybe i should look into some other software than marlin?
what do you guys recommend ?
Attachments:
open | download - foto.JPG (105.4 KB)
January 28, 2014 04:50PM
I have a problem with Cura where it doesn't print single-wall objects with thin walls like the 20x20 thin wall cube. It has 0.5mm walls and my nozzle size is also 0.5mm

The strangest thing is that Cura makes all my prints come out nicer and smarter, but Slic3r does however manages to make more out of thin-walled objects I try to print.

With the thin-wall cube, Cura just says printing time 0 minutes and doesn't show anything being printed. I have no idea how this works, but I can't find out how to 'trick' cure into printing the object without having to change very important settings.

Your lampshade looks very nice, I think your settings are quite ok. Is the inside of the lampshade also correctly printed?
January 29, 2014 03:20AM
Ohmarinus
I have a problem with Cura where it doesn't print single-wall objects with thin walls like the 20x20 thin wall cube. It has 0.5mm walls and my nozzle size is also 0.5mm

The strangest thing is that Cura makes all my prints come out nicer and smarter, but Slic3r does however manages to make more out of thin-walled objects I try to print.

With the thin-wall cube, Cura just says printing time 0 minutes and doesn't show anything being printed. I have no idea how this works, but I can't find out how to 'trick' cure into printing the object without having to change very important settings.

Your lampshade looks very nice, I think your settings are quite ok. Is the inside of the lampshade also correctly printed?

i cant really help on Cura because im still trying to figure out my own settings and im need for help too.

But yes the Lampshade looks nice inside too, only negative thing is that i cant really print overhang yet, looks like crap at the top because of the filament couldnt get stuck to the other side.
January 29, 2014 03:44PM
I will tell you thing that helped me the most! Go to Tantillus.org and use the calculator there. I was getting really good results almost all the time. I was getting some bad prints at times and it would get finicky at times. I decided to follow the setup procedures and use the calculator from his site. Wow, my prints are soo much better now it's amazing. I have a makerfarm prusa i3...

Also, it helped me to use Kisslicer when entering the numbers. I have now gone back and tried to make the equivalent in Cura and am getting nice results from Cura also!
January 29, 2014 04:52PM
Happycamper:
Can you Upload before and after print pictures ?
And What hotend/extruder do you use ?
What layer height?
January 29, 2014 06:05PM
When I get a chance I'll try to load some images.

I am using the J head .35 nozzle

I have been printing at .2 and .1 layers.
January 30, 2014 02:15AM
Happycamper:
Okay. Do you print at full speed ?
Im printing at 80mm/s and when printing with cura ill have to og Down from 100% to 80% while printing.
January 30, 2014 09:39AM
I am printing at full speed, but take a look at the calculator. It lets you chose a size of object you are printing and will give optimal speeds etc... So in my case, I'm printing some small objects and I'd have to check on the exact speeds, but they are in the 30-40 mm/s range...
January 30, 2014 10:00AM
Happycamper:
What do you do about overgangs and small/thin walls?
Im getting okay prints but it could be better.
Right now im trying to print some new parts for the printer and a bowden extruder. Maybe that helps smiling smiley
January 30, 2014 10:14AM
I think just by following the steps and that calculator, a lot of the little problems were fixed. I still have some things to work on, but it was a big help.

As for the thin walls and overhangs, I have been using a fan and it helps a lot. I am using PLA...

The parts I'm doing have such thin walls that they cannot be printed at shapeways in their White Strong and Flexible material. I can't remember the exact thickness of my walls but at shapeways if they are smaller then .7mm they won't print it. I was amazed when I began getting parts with walls this thin. Unfortunately, I can't show the parts yet do to IP stuff. Soon hopefully smiling smiley
January 30, 2014 10:51AM
Sounds amazing, can't wait to see some pictures smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login