Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA printing issues

Posted by calad 
PLA printing issues
January 28, 2014 05:15AM
Hi. I built my new 3d printer and I am having troubles with PLA-material.

The problem is that when I try to print with PLA material it doesn't come out from extruder. Sometimes only a very small amount of material comes out but never like in this video: [www.youtube.com]

I have been using pronterface and when I press insert and revert the filament does move but when it reaches end of hotend almost nothing comes out, however I am able to withdrawn it back. I have been using various temperatures (180-230 celcius) but result has been always same. In some very early printings material did flow out but not anymore. Filament I bought is from recommend site (3d-printer-filament). I have cleaned hotend with 3mm drill and replaced it once so it should not be stuck.

Any ideas where to start solving this? This has been taking plenty of my time so I need some help now. It can be anything from low-powered motor to bad filament quality.
Re: PLA printing issues
January 28, 2014 06:21AM
is E parameter correct?

take a measure of 100 mm from top of extruder and mark the pla

remove hotend and try do extrude 50 mm.

take a measure again and check that pla goes down of 50 mm

If the distance is not ok you need to reset the E value on configuration.h (or eeprom if you use it). You can use the old prusa calculator [calculator.josefprusa.cz] to find the correct value (Slic3r,SFACT, SF40+ volumetric calibration)

If it is ok, probably your hotend is full, you can try to heat the hotend without pla and clean from the top hole with an small iron thing (EX a paper clip)
January 30, 2014 12:34PM
Thanks for tips.

No it wasn't. Also my z-parameter was twice too small. I calibrated them both and now extruder outputs correct value.

Next problem is to make filament stick on the surface (I have glass plate covered with kapton tape). I need to redo tape because it is dusty, broken and maybe has some hand fat. Later I will clean it with alcohol.

I use temperature of 60 degrees. I guess it is enough? Should heatend be hotter than 185 degrees? Again many small details hammering me.
February 01, 2014 09:03AM
Hi again. I have feeling that my mm/min, in other words, feed rates are not correct. My extruder moves way too slow comparing rest of machine.

For first print what kind of values should I use and how can I calibrate it? Should I look on watch how do they move during one minute?

Pronterface has following feed values, are they good?

XY: 3000
Z: 200
E: 300

And is this part of marlin firmware where feed values can be modified? There are also other very similar but it is next to steps per unit and acceleration.

#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 2, 45} // (mm/sec)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login