Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hobbed bolt jumping

Posted by hhbhagat 
hobbed bolt jumping
March 11, 2014 12:02PM
Reprap prusa i2

I am having this weird noise where the hobbed bolt is jumping. Like this: [d.pr]
The sharpie makes it clear. Is it something with my extruder temp? 190C. Or my esteps (I never configured them)
Re: hobbed bolt jumping
March 11, 2014 12:24PM
hhbhagat
Is it something with my extruder temp? 190C. Or my esteps (I never configured them)
Could be either or both, or something else entirely. What extruder is that? Does it use a plunger or idler bearing? What hot end are you using? Is that PLA? 3mm or 1.75mm? Have you adjusted the extruder stepper current?

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 11, 2014 07:14PM
I am not able to get the exact model of the hotend because it was part of a preassembled Massdrop. But here is the webpage: [d.pr]
The hotend is PLA and ABS compatible. Ubis .4mm nozzle with 1.75mm plastic. I have not adjusted any of the pots on the board.
My prints also do not seem as smooth as they should be. They print just fine and complete, but there are little inconsistencies on the perimeter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2014 07:16PM by hhbhagat.
March 11, 2014 08:22PM
You absolutely have to calibrate the extruder (X and Y as well if you haven't done it). Check the driver voltages also on all axes.

March 11, 2014 08:54PM
By all that, you mean that I need to configure the stepper motors in the firmware correct?
March 11, 2014 09:55PM
hhbhagat
I am not able to get the exact model of the hotend because it was part of a preassembled Massdrop. But here is the webpage: [d.pr]
Hmm, the extruder in the video you posted does not match the extruder shown on that massdrop web page. Does your extruder have an adjustable plunger, or an idler bearing? I can't tell from the video.

hhbhagat
The hotend is PLA and ABS compatible. Ubis .4mm nozzle with 1.75mm plastic.
Does your hot end look like the one shown on the massdrop page? (Like this?) Or does it look like the Ubis hot end? (Like this?)

Honestly I'm surprised they were able to offer a fully assembled printer for that cheap. I really hope that the main power wires coming from the power supply on your printer aren't as ridiculously thin as the ones shown on the massdrop page. I see some other inconsistencies and questionable descriptions on the page too.

Some pictures of your overall printer and specific components (hot end, extruder, power supply, electronics, etc.) would be helpful.

March 11, 2014 10:10PM
There it is. And they gave no instruction on the firmware tweaking, but gave info on how to calibrate the axes, print from sd, and maintenance and cleaning of bolts and the nozzle.
[imgur.com]
March 11, 2014 10:41PM
Try adjusting the potentiometer on your extruder driver to give the extruder more power. Not too much - you don't want the driver or motor to get too hot.

If that doesn't work:
Loosen the adjustment on your extruder so that you can push the filament through by hand. You may need to take apart the extruder to do this - I'm not sure as I can't really tell from your pictures how your extruder is set up. Heat up the nozzle, then see if you can extrude filament by hand at a reasonable rate. This will tell you if the hot end is the problem.

March 11, 2014 10:53PM
I don't know if I looked hard enough online, but I have no idea which pot is which. Labeled T1-4. The wires are of course wrapped so it it hard to even use a multimeter to test.
March 13, 2014 01:59PM
Bump
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login