Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hotend issues

Posted by soaring eagle 
hotend issues
April 17, 2014 05:16PM
I bought an all metal hotend and it works great it doesn't jam after every print like my last one but the only issue is it kind of stops letting plastic out but then later on it will start again it happens more when it is going fast but I slowed it down a lot but when its doing the infill it still goes fast and its gets messed up there I don't know if it is the extruder the hotend or maybe its just going to fast.
Re: hotend issues
April 17, 2014 05:36PM
Pictures of the print help identify the patterns in where it's stopping. Could be anything from skipped steps to skipping hobs to plugging by debris.
A2
April 17, 2014 05:41PM
I have read (I don't have experience) that if you can split the difference between the infill and perimeter print speeds that your print quality improves.
Or try to find one speed that works for both infill and perimeter.

When you switch between fast and slow extrusion rates the melt, and glass transition zones struggle to keep up, which causes print problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 11:30PM by A2.
April 17, 2014 11:00PM
Would it be the extruder skipping steps or the x axis skipping steps causing to much vibrations.and what do you mean by splitting the difference.
A2
April 17, 2014 11:45PM
Post pictures if you require expert advice.

soaring eagle
what do you mean by splitting the difference.

Ex. perimeter print speed is 30 mm/sec, and infill is 60 mm/sec.
(30 + 60)/2 = 45 mm/sec

soaring eagle
but the only issue is it kind of stops letting plastic out but then later on it will start again it happens more when it is going fast

Your original post is not exactly clear to me, so I interpreted it to be a problem was noticed when switching between infill and perimeter creation.
But it could just as well be an extruder problem.

Have you calibrated your extruder and hot end, that's the first thing that must be done.

A few links to help you out with calibration:

The incomplete reprap beginners guide.
[reprap.org]

Calibration alexrj/Slic3r Github
[github.com]

Commissioning, Calibrating
[reprap.org]

Triffid Hunter's Calibration Guide
[reprap.org]

Calibration
[reprap.org]

The incomplete reprap beginner's guide
[reprap.org]

Calibrating XY&Z Step/MM
[www.youtube.com]

Calibration Part One
[buggerit.blogspot.com]

Mendal Craft Calibration
[www.mendelcraft.com]

Tuning Layer Height
[forums.reprap.org]

Tuning Layer Height
[www.tantillus.org]

Tuning print resolution: flashed the audrino with 500 in the DEFAULT_MAX_ACCERLERATION line for X/Y, wound the speed up to 120% in the Tune menu
[forums.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2014 11:50PM by A2.
April 18, 2014 01:17AM
It does happen when switching between the two it usually stops during the infill and will start again during the perimeter but sometimes it won't print the perimeter for a while and I have done all the calibration and I looked at every link to make sure I didn't miss anything.Thanks for all the help
April 18, 2014 01:19AM
The only thing I haven't done is check the current on the extruder motor
April 18, 2014 11:50AM
Have have been messing around with it slot and I found out that if I print a part without infill it prints fine most of the time it still stops sometimes but if it has infill and it stops if I pause the print and try to extrude plastic I usually have to push on it for a little sometimes I don't does anyone know what's wrong.
A2
April 18, 2014 11:22PM
Provide pictures, what hot end you are having problems with, what printer, what controller, etc.
April 20, 2014 08:05PM
It is an all metal jhead hotend I got from ebay it is an excellent hotend along the lines of the melt zone,the printer I'm building is a reprap iretation 2 with a wades geared extruder on it the controller is a generation 7 electronics and I'm using the computer to print from.thanks for all of the help.
A2
April 20, 2014 09:10PM
soaring eagle
an all metal jhead hotend

I think some one has taken great liberty by using the J-head hot end name, and rebranding it as an all metal J-head hot end.
I doubt very much that the components are interchangeable or that it even looks like a J-head.

I suggest that you contact the manufacturer with your problems.
April 20, 2014 09:44PM
It is the same design has a all metal hotend from e3d.com
April 20, 2014 10:18PM
The all-metal fan bracket in [www.ebay.com] looks .... interesting.

I wonder what happens at high temps?
April 22, 2014 11:42AM
My problem was that my hotend wasn't hot enough to fully melt the plastic so it would slip on the filament so I turn the temperature up to 200 to 210 I'm am using blue glow in the dark pla filament
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login