Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X Axis Binding up

Posted by Doug1 
X Axis Binding up
April 28, 2014 11:41AM
Ok so i have a I 3xl (Pursa) basically i printed for about 4 hours yesterday and with out problems. My 3rd job a big gear wheel went fine for about 30 layers then the X started binding up.

Killed the print job and tried to move it mannually and it seemed to stick in a couple spots down the axis. So now comes to the part i need help with.

I released tension on the belt to see if it was the bar or motor or belt somehow. It seems to be related to either the motor or the belt . Questions

1. Can a belt be to tight causing bind ups after a while.
2. Does this sound like the motor just got to hot.
3. Should / Can i avoid this entire issue by letting it cool off between jobs. ( note it was printing for about 6 hours stright )

Any help here would be great!
Re: X Axis Binding up
May 15, 2014 02:07PM
1. Yes, but rarely and it has to be really tight.
2. That does sound like the more likely cause.
3. If your motor is too hot (you should be able to touch it without burning yourself) you should turn down the power and/or stick a fan on it. I run my printers 24/7 and don't find the heat to be a problem as long as it isn't running too hot.

Through self sustaining actions comes freedom

DIY Tech Shop
Re: X Axis Binding up
May 19, 2014 03:56AM
Is the belt wandering a bit off the idler pulley? If the pulley has non rotating fender washers or similar the belt can bind a bit - I find the best solution is a crowned pulley. You should be able to print continuously - but fans are advisable on the electronics.

Also I once did an old belt up too tight and it snapped one of the reinforcement cables. This shifted one tooth out of place which caused issues!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login