Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

filament piles up in extruder cavity

Posted by wimvh 
filament piles up in extruder cavity
June 14, 2014 11:48AM
Whenever I start a long print, after a while (15 or 20 minutes or so) the filament is jammed in a cavity on the bottom of the extruder to the hot end. for shorter prints that only take 5 or 10 minutes I do not have this issue.
In the pictures, you can see the extruder as it is mounted and when I open it up after the print, it looks like in the second picture. Of course, when that happens, there's no filamaent anymore coming out of the printer so the object is lost.

Does anybody know why this happens? Is this beceause the extruder is "too fast", or, is it because the whole extruder on the x-carriage is getting that hot that the filament is already to flexible in teh cavity? What is the cavity for anyway... does it have a purpose?

Anyone who experienced the same and found a solution?

Kind regards and thx for any feedback,

Wim
Re: filament piles up in extruder cavity
June 14, 2014 12:14PM
To me, it looks like the excess heat that builds up is causing the filament to become flexable, just as you say. Is there a way you can make the gap in that cavity shorter, so there is less distance from where the filiment is being fed into your extruder?
June 14, 2014 05:53PM
You might need a longer barrel to stop the heat migrating to the top so quickly as it's obviously too warm just under the extruder. A fan might help to keep the upper end of the hotend a bit cooler, but looking at yours, it looks like theres not much length to cool as it seems quiet short.
June 14, 2014 08:00PM
print one of these
[terawatt-industries.github.io]

bore out the the hole in the budapter a bit just to make sure it allows your filament to go through freely and with little to no friction, then place it in the cavity.
June 15, 2014 12:44AM
There should be no cavity above your hot end. The top of the hot end - at least the top of my j-head hot ends - is meant to be inserted INTO the extruder body. If you have a hot end design that does not project like this, you should have not have a cavity in the bottom of the extruder so that he two can meet flush.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login