Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA stick to nozzle

Posted by EEstudent 
PLA stick to nozzle
June 18, 2014 06:05PM
I did many test on different temps of hot end/bed but the PLA is not sticking to the glass
there are also tiny bubbles in the filament, the color of the filament extruder from the hot end is not unirorm.

I had very short filament for testing and
I don't know how to continue from here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2014 06:48PM by EEstudent.
Re: PLA stick to nozzle
June 18, 2014 06:31PM
Do a search. Getting plastic to stick has been talked about over and over and over again.
June 18, 2014 06:50PM
tmorris9
Do a search. Getting plastic to stick has been talked about over and over and over again.
I reviewed some posts, some succeeded without any need for modifications and some used glue and stuff to make plastic stick.
I changed back to small filament I had from eBay and it sticks much better and I can print.
is it possible that the filament is not good?
June 18, 2014 06:52PM
Check your nozzle gap - it needs to be somewhere between 0.05 and 0.1mm. A piece of 80gsm copy paper should drag lightly underneath after you've homed the Z axis. Also, get your bed and hot-end up to temp before measuring. Finally, clean your glass with window cleaner then rub briskly with a dry paper towel.

June 18, 2014 08:07PM
I did all those things, I did a lots of reading.
I switched to the small piece of filament I had and it sticks well!
I was able to print very small object.
the new filament refuses to stick, bad quality filament or just different one?
Attachments:
open | download - 20140619_025327 - Copy.jpg (312.4 KB)
June 19, 2014 01:47AM
It easily could be bad filament. It could also just be filament that needs something more to grip onto, it could also contain too much moisture (PLA is like a sponge and soaks up moisture from air).
June 19, 2014 05:53AM
I did more calibrations and I can print more complex objects successfully with the old filament.
I spent few hour yesterday testing temp combinations to make the new one stick to glass but it was awful, does it worth to keep trying with different methods (like glue) or return it back?try very high temp(220C)?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2014 07:43AM by EEstudent.
June 19, 2014 08:11AM
I use blue painter's tape, which sticks more than I like most of the time, especially if it has a wide base.
Also, I think moisture in PLA and ABS is just a myth/conspirathy theory. I've got 1+ year old both that hasn't changed printing behavior. I, by absolutely no means, store it well. It just kinda sits in the living room wherever I have space and I have to blow dust off each roll when I change eye rolling smiley But the only specs I've gotten inside my prints are bits of ABS when switching.
Glass seems to be a hit and miss with people. Some people get perfect results without adding anything, others need glue. I use 3M's delicate blue; no print on top so my print stays clean, and it's nice and wide, so less pieces needed. Sticks every time.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
June 19, 2014 07:33PM
+1 for blue painter's tape.its hold more how you want sometimes its hard to take off
June 19, 2014 07:46PM
Thanks I will try it but it will take time to arrive.
which one you use? (they have many products)
June 19, 2014 08:22PM
I use 3M Scotch-Blue Painter's Tape for Multi-Surfaces

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
June 20, 2014 08:51AM
MrDoctorDIV
I use 3M Scotch-Blue Painter's Tape for Multi-Surfaces
do you heat the bed?
June 22, 2014 04:40PM
Depends on how I feel that day. I've gone from nothing to 45C to 60C. I'd say 40C would work well, up to 65C only if you're having issues. Any higher will go against the purpose and actually make sticking worse.

June 22, 2014 06:46PM
Have you measured the true heat of the bed surface? That can be very different to the value returned from the thermistor underneath at the heat bed. I need to set 80C on my thermistor to get an even 60C on the bed surface and get things to stick well.
June 23, 2014 01:29AM
Opus
Have you measured the true heat of the bed surface? That can be very different to the value returned from the thermistor underneath at the heat bed. I need to set 80C on my thermistor to get an even 60C on the bed surface and get things to stick well.
I've ordered thermometer to make sure I am getting the right temperature.
I will try raising the temp to higher values both on bed and hot-end, add glue, it might work

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2014 01:29AM by EEstudent.
June 23, 2014 05:00PM
I figured it out...I had to use much higher temperatures, I used 220C with the new filament and it sticked to the glass.
I also put some glue with water, I think it helps but need to test it on larger prints
June 25, 2014 11:56AM
update: i was able to print big prints successfully, there is place for small tuning but the printer is functional! this thing is awesome when it works smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2014 12:00PM by EEstudent.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login