Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No Infill For Small Objects

Posted by MaFraL 
No Infill For Small Objects
July 03, 2014 12:22AM
I am unable to get my RepRap to properly perform the infill on small objects. Even though the objects are solid in the CAD models and the infill is set to 100%, small shapes come out hollow. I've attached photos of a test piece I've been working with in an attempt to correct the problem. The piece includes a 2.5mm, 5mm, and 10mm diameter cylinder. I have a 0.35mm hot end. My gcode is generated by slic3r. The object in the center of the photos is the current "baseline" configuration for my printer. The object on the left is the result of changing the extrusion multiplier from 1 to 1.3. The object on the right was made by increasing the number of perimeters from 3 to 6.

Increasing the extrusion multiplier did not fix the infill problem and made for a very messy print. Adding more perimeters made the 2.5mm and 5mm cylinders solid, but caused the 10mm cylinder to require less infill and become hollow. Can anyone offer advice to make the infill work properly?

Edit:
Posted the photos I forgot originally.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2014 12:37AM by MaFraL.
Attachments:
open | download - Small Perimeter Infill Isometric.JPG (593.1 KB)
open | download - Small Perimeter Infill Top.JPG (528.3 KB)
Re: No Infill For Small Objects
July 03, 2014 05:08AM
what speed are you printing the infill

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
July 03, 2014 03:33PM
My current infill speed settings:

Infill: 60 mm/s
solid infill: 60 mm/s
Top solid infill: 50 mm/s
July 04, 2014 10:34PM
I tried slowing the printer down, but if it did result in any improvement it was minor.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2014 10:35PM by MaFraL.
July 05, 2014 12:25PM
Sounds like the slicer could be acting up. Try using another slicer, probably Kisslicer or Cura.
July 05, 2014 01:49PM
How's the filament coming of the spool if it catches it will pull on the extruder what percentage of infil set in your slicer

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
July 06, 2014 10:14PM
chngyian
Sounds like the slicer could be acting up. Try using another slicer, probably Kisslicer or Cura.
I'll have to try that. I have an old version of Slic3r, so I'll try downloading the newest version of that first.

chris33
How's the filament coming of the spool if it catches it will pull on the extruder what percentage of infil set in your slicer
I don't think the filament is catching because the parts that don't get filled are missing material consistently, rather than sporadically losing sections.
The objects are solid in the CAD models and the infill is set to 100%.
July 10, 2014 03:26PM
I started using the most recent version of Slic3r and there was an improvement in the infill on this object. Now I just need to get it calibrated properly. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2014 03:26PM by MaFraL.
July 28, 2014 01:24AM
Slic3r has a checkbox "Only infill when needed." Make sure that is not checked if you want the object always filled. Sorry if this is obvious.

cheers
Bruce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login