Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filamentdirect 3mm PLA not sticking to glass?

Posted by Razorconcepts 
Filamentdirect 3mm PLA not sticking to glass?
July 05, 2014 09:38PM
Hi all, I have a mendel90 and I just switched to a new filament. Before, I was printing with 3mm faberdashery green filament, and that worked fine. I just switched to 3mm grey filament from filamentdirect.com, and I can't get it to stick to the glass heated bed.

I have verified the layer thickness is still 0.2mm
I have updated the slicing firmware and the printers esteps-per-mm based on the new diameter (faberdashery was 2.85mm, filamentdirect is exactly 3mm)
I have tried increasing the hotend temperature from 185 to 195 celsius
I have tried increasing the heated bed temperature from 70 to 80 celsius
I have tried having the fan on the entire time, as well as having the fan off for the first layer
I have tried decreasing the speed (using M220) down to 10%

No matter what happens, the PLA from filamentdirect seems to have no adhesion to the glass bed. It never gets past the first layer, it just pulls away and starts to clump up around the nozzle. I clean the glass bed using alcohol and paper towel.

Any ideas? Do I have to mess around with settings more, or is it bad filament? Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2014 09:39PM by Razorconcepts.
Re: Filamentdirect 3mm PLA not sticking to glass?
July 06, 2014 08:00AM
Razorconcepts
>>>>>>>>>>
I have verified the layer thickness is still 0.2mm
>>>>>>>>>>>>
Any ideas? Do I have to mess around with settings more, or is it bad filament? Thanks

If you are referring to the the nozzle gap above the glass, then that gap is too large. You should set it to 0.1mm max and do so with the bed up to temp and the hot-end heated up.

July 06, 2014 10:26AM
try print PLA on blue painter tape ,i do not have problem with sticking
July 24, 2014 06:50PM
Try hairspray on the glass, works wonders for me.
July 31, 2014 02:13PM
I also had the clumping up issue on bare clean heated glass. I have used painters tape which gives me the perfect adhesion so the prints are great, but I can hardly get them off the glass. I now use sugar water. I brush it over the bed while it's heating and keep spreading it out till it evaporates and becomes almost like a sticky syrup. Then I print on that. I have had excellent first layer performance and very good adhesion. Everyone's setup is different so it's at least something to try. It's what worked for me when I was struggling with getting PLA to stick.
July 31, 2014 03:18PM
I also have my layer set to 0.1mm using a feeler gauge, seems like a good height.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login