Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rafting and support not being generated as desired in Sli3er

Posted by BlenderGuy 
Rafting and support not being generated as desired in Sli3er
July 07, 2014 10:24AM
Hello,

I have had difficulty with getting support to work on this model and would like some suggestions on how to fix this. The key issue is that the support makes towers. These towers have a small footprint and break off of the glass after long print times due to their thin, tall, nature. I wanted to solve this problem with a potential of 2 solutions. One was to have rafting. This would fix the tall thin tower bases to the glass and hold it in place. When tested upon (see pic), no support is seen. As well, reducing the angle for the support material to be added to 0 degrees, to supposedly create a massive support block, no real change in the amount of support is seen (also, same pic).

Any ideas how to increase the amount of support material? I have a .5mm noz, 3mm filament Cartesian printer and I am scaling this model to 87.5mm tall. I also tested this on my delta printer, but the same result happened. These small thin towers were created.

The file

[www.thingiverse.com]
Attachments:
open | download - Settings.png (29.9 KB)
open | download - Not Rafting.png (379.7 KB)
Re: Rafting and support not being generated as desired in Sli3er
July 07, 2014 11:49AM
Try changing the support type from pillars to one of the other options. It may larger chunks that should adhere better to the build platform.
July 07, 2014 12:47PM
TheReprapExperience,

Thanks, I did try that. Pillars was one of my latter selections. I usually do Rectilinear. No significant change

Also tried removing "Don't Support Bridgees". No change

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 12:58PM by BlenderGuy.
July 10, 2014 09:24AM
I found a semi-solution. I made Slicer force to support the first 300 layers. That makes everything supported, which is good, kinda.
July 10, 2014 10:44AM
Step one: ditch Slic3r
Step two: do not look back on Slic3r, or you will be made a pillar of salt
Step three: KISSlicer, Cura, Simplify3D or other non-Slic3r slicer

I once used Sli3r exclusively, I actually grabbed some decent prints from it. Has some good features, but overall it sucks at doing things properly and timely. I switched over to Simplify3D and don't miss a single thing, though I still use Repetier Host for controller software.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
July 10, 2014 06:20PM
Simplify3D is not offer demo version its expensive for just try and maybe not happy with that
July 11, 2014 09:03AM
premek
Simplify3D is not offer demo version its expensive for just try and maybe not happy with that
I already emailed and got the same reply. Why spend that much on software I cannot even try first to make sure im not tossing my money away.
July 12, 2014 07:08PM
Try cura. I was hesitant at first because slicer is easier to control and set up the bed etc but cura's supports are fantastic as well as it's speed and the ability to Easily add more parts, arrange them and even rotate/resize etc. I only really use pronterface/slicer to set up the bed or find/fix problems now if cura put more controls on the main gui i'd only use it.. i think theyre trying to make it idiotproof which seems to be the new (braindead) paradigm.. not a good paradigm for the maker community at ALL but cura is excellent
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login