Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

extruder stepper problem.

Posted by Rooski 
extruder stepper problem.
July 14, 2014 09:08AM
My stepper seems to be skipping or stuttering. I dont know which or what could be the cause. Anyway here is a video showing the problem. Any info would be much appreciated.

Video - YouTube
Re: extruder stepper problem.
July 14, 2014 05:45PM
It looks like your print is starting too low. There's a massive pressure build up in your melt chamber and it's making your extruder skip. Does it keep skipping above the first layer?

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
July 15, 2014 12:43AM
yes , in the video i dont focus on it but the print is very choppy and some areas are filled nicely and others are just hairline strands. i am using 3mm though so it might be too tough to push through the hotend? ill try increasing temp to help.

also on a side note im using gen6 electronics(i know ancient right) and the stepper driver heatsinks are very hot to the touch, with the printer being on for just a few minutes... i dont remember this being normal. id turn the pots down but they arent even halfway.
July 16, 2014 12:23AM
Ran it for a bit and im 80% sure its do to stepper overheating and a clogged hobbed bolt. will need to clean and put on a large heatsink then retest.
July 16, 2014 08:58PM
my printer do same sound like yours and my extruder skipping when i print with low temperature,try rising hotends temperature litlle be or slow down yours prints.Highest speed need higher hotend temperature
July 16, 2014 10:38PM
It does stutter worse when its going fast, but the fastest im running is 40mm/s for infill. i had it running at 60mm/s before.

and temp i run PLA at 204 C, think i should increase it ?

also my voltage is at 2.8 , which is what my nema17 is rated for . but im wondering if i should increase it?

even at 2.8V after about and hour of printing the motor gets quite hot.
July 16, 2014 11:04PM
increasing voltage and temperature did help but it still skips, maybe too much resistance due to old style hotend ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login