Better print resolution/quality
July 17, 2014 10:34PM
Hello all, Im trying to figure out how to get a better print resolution out of my printed objects. Ive seen people with beautiful prints and ive searched high and low for the answers but havent been able to get one. As of now my prints have very noticeable layers which i know is the norm but i really would like to print something with a "HD" quality. Can anyone help me with this, give any advice,or point me in the right direction? Is there settings in slic3r that need to be changed?

Any help is apreciated.
Re: Better print resolution/quality
July 17, 2014 10:53PM
Lower layer heights, smaller nozzle is the main 2 things you can do to get a better print right from the printer. Newer designed printers are using Acme rods and smaller tooth belts that make them better quality. If you print with ABS you can also use Acetone vapor to smooth your prints but does not work on parts with thin pieces (they will bend horribly once dried).

Maybe show a pic of your issue so we can make better recommendations.
July 17, 2014 11:50PM
Thanks for the tips Tmorris, what layer height do u suggest? right now my settings are at .28mm for the first layer and .15mm for everything else. Ive also seen people say something about microns but im not really sure what that is nor anything in Slic3r about it. And in Slic3r I also see something about resolution but im not sure what to set it to. After reading your reply I went and looked at the parts list and I actually have the acme rods on my printer.

In the pics you can see somewhat the resolution im getting but I dont think you get the just of how the res really is but hopefully you can see enough to help.
Attachments:
open | download - Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 11.34.49 PM.png (340.9 KB)
open | download - Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 11.35.11 PM.png (382.9 KB)
open | download - Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 11.35.24 PM.png (356.8 KB)
open | download - Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 11.35.33 PM.png (361.2 KB)
open | download - Screen Shot 2014-07-17 at 11.35.51 PM.png (338.6 KB)
July 18, 2014 11:52AM
.15mm [which is 150 microns; 1 micron is 0.001mm] is a fair resolution to start with. I would solve your other quality issues first. Lower layer heights require a better tuned printer, very much so. It takes me about a week to fine tune my printer to achieve 70micron layers [0.07mm], but that's because I have a bad printer that doesn't hold a tune very long or very well. I solve other issues before I push the layer resolution. At parts it looks like your extruder motor is set just a tad [and I do mean a tad] too high. Try turning your pot down about 1/32 of a turn, or whatever the smallest movement you can make is.

What temps are you printing with? What's your nozzle size? Material you're printing with?

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
July 18, 2014 04:35PM
What he said, but for calibration I would start with layer heights around of 0.25mm to 0.33mm depening on nozzle size.

And start with simple objects, like cubes and cylinders, for calibration prints. By printing simple objects the slicer will have less influence on the print, than if you have an organic shape with lots of overhangs, and nitty gritty details.

When I was done printing thin walled 20 mm calibration cubes, I moved to Landru's Companion cube. It has quite some qualities, when it comes to calibration.
It has:
Overhangs near the print bed, temperature issues here will cause curling.
Overhangs far away from the print bed, issues here is typically bacause of too low width over thickness, or too low print temperature, if printing ABS
Flat surfaces on the side, you will see wobble or artefacts from mechanical issues.
A bit of detail, some of them with overhang.
High geek factor.. winking smiley

But there is a lot of other possibilities, for good calibration objects.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login