Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Layer bonding ABS

Posted by TRoager 
Layer bonding ABS
July 24, 2014 04:05PM
Hello folks.

I have been having this problem from the beginning of my time with ABS.

Heres my setup:
Custom Ultimaker with ramps 1.4
Airtripper Bowden
1.75 Blue ABS from RRW
Using cura. (Slic3r gives wierd results for me)
Hotend: E3D v5 , 245c first layer, 240 rest.
Heated bed: Mk2a, 100c first layer, 94 rest.

The picture should tell everything.
But my observation is that the layers Wont Bond correctly , i Can peel the layers of the print. (I Got No fans blowing)

Please help me out, i have building a prusa and Then this UM and havent Got 1 print out of it yet.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (45 KB)
open | download - image.jpg (37.5 KB)
open | download - image.jpg (42 KB)
Re: Layer bonding ABS
July 25, 2014 02:36AM
What's the relationship between the nozzle diameter and layer hieght?
July 25, 2014 06:12AM
0.3 mm nozzle and 0.2 layer height for first layers and Then 0.1 for the rest.
July 26, 2014 12:19AM
TRoager
0.3 mm nozzle and 0.2 layer height for first layers and Then 0.1 for the rest.

Hmmm....that's a good ballpark and should work.

Did you measure the filament, and it's actually 1.75mm ?

The only other thing I can think of is that your temps seem a little high for ABS; 230C is a good starting point.

Oh, what's the print speed? Maybe you should slow down a bit.

Seems that every different spool of filament I have requires slightly different settings. Just one of those things, I guess.

Every time I switch out filament I print a little test object, zero infill, with one or two perimeters. That helps me nail down correct values for the final print. Takes a little extra time, but it's worth it. No failed big prints (due to printer settings).
July 26, 2014 04:18PM
Raise your temperatures. I print abs at 265 through my e3dv5. I raise it for the colored filament and on fast prints
July 27, 2014 03:35AM
My filament is 1.749 and i just raised the temperature to 265 and 270 an i finalt Got good layer Bonding. But it seems Strange. I use a 100k epcos with the e3d and using the first setting in marlin. (1)
July 27, 2014 04:41AM
TRoager
My filament is 1.749 and i just raised the temperature to 265 and 270 an i finalt Got good layer Bonding. But it seems Strange. I use a 100k epcos with the e3d and using the first setting in marlin. (1)

E3Dv5 is supposed to be number 5 thermistor in Marlin. At least that's what my instructions that came with it said and it made a big difference as I was running #1 also for awhile.

Bruce
July 27, 2014 05:02AM
I'm using a regular thermistor from eBay, not the one from e3d. so I'm not sure if its the same settings ?
July 29, 2014 12:30AM
do what works for you. ebay vendors etc who sell thermistors for repraps usually have the temp settings for you. I'm Not a thermistor expert but apparently it's more complicated than you would think. I replaced my originals with ones from ebay and used the appropriate settings and im getting the same temp readouts etc so its apparently right.

One thing you have to remember is that the VAST majority of people, especially with prebuilt/corporate produced 3d printers print mostly with pla with the rare switch to abs (pla is "prettier"). It may ahve a lot to do with print speed too.. i think maybe print speeds are going up as we refine prusa's etc more and more and the high temp would be needed in order to melt the filament fast enough. When i started i printed around 245 and a LOT slower than i do now (100mm/s now) and it worked ok. I'm much faster now and 265 works great
July 29, 2014 03:34PM
Hmm, could be because of the eBay thermistors. Im gonna change to a thermocouple soon enough so i hope this Will change the temp Readings alot.
But i was thinking to og back to pla but i really like the feel of ABS over pla.

But it seems like im under extruding abit but im only printing at 40mm/s
August 05, 2014 11:10PM
Hmm 40mms is slow. You may have a bad connection or maybe bad mate between thermistor and surface?
August 07, 2014 03:40PM
i think i have a bad thermistor so i have switched to thermocouple and im gonna try some colorfabb xt filament when i get some new parts for my z stage in a few days. but i could extrude the ABS at 220 and all the way to 275 degrees celsius.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login