Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA warping

Posted by calad 
PLA warping
July 28, 2014 04:53PM
Hi.

My problem is that PLA filament is warping up when objects angle is or greater than 45 degrees. There is a picture of how bad warping is. Under it there is support structure but it wont help. Skirt is a bit up because on it I pulled it off the bed.

Temperature is 210 degrees and bed temp is 60. Program is slicer. Tips are the most valued.
Attachments:
open | download - warping.jpg (112.5 KB)
Re: PLA warping
July 28, 2014 04:56PM
I solved all my warping issues with PLA by printing it with a brim on clean Kapton tape WITHOUT heating the bed. No warping since... and the prints can easily be removed directly after the print is finished
July 28, 2014 05:01PM
Woah, thats a fast answer!

Im using painters tape (scotch 2035 european) but I have kapton as well. However I feel that the problem is that PLA wants to warp around hotend instead of stick on heated bed.
July 28, 2014 05:12PM
I think by heating the bed when printing PLA you really create more problems then you solve. Try not to heat the bed and use a fan to cool the pla directly after extruding. its a major improvement in print quality.
July 28, 2014 05:54PM
Lets see how this turns out.
July 28, 2014 06:36PM
Hi. Thank you for your time. It is clearly working but not well enough.

On picture you can see warping still happens but significantly less, but still on untolerable level.

More ideas how to proceed?
Attachments:
open | download - warp2.jpg (119.8 KB)
July 29, 2014 01:15AM
If you have a heated bed, try printing on bare glass with bed temp 80C. Ever since I used bare heated glass, all my PLA has been sticking with no problem. I've used one application of hairspray and had more than 10+prints so far with no problem. Also you have to make sure your Z level is good. (Paper thickness test)
July 29, 2014 01:33AM
ttttrigg3r
If you have a heated bed, try printing on bare glass with bed temp 80C. Ever since I used bare heated glass, all my PLA has been sticking with no problem. I've used one application of hairspray and had more than 10+prints so far with no problem. Also you have to make sure your Z level is good. (Paper thickness test)
You suggest complitely opposite way how to fix problem. Also sticking never has been a problem for me, warping is.
July 29, 2014 02:03AM
From the first picture, it looks like the plastic is not sticking so well on the bed, hence the shadow on the edge closest.
What kind of warping are you seeing? Do you have the STL file of the object you are trying to print? Upload it so we can see the expected result.
July 29, 2014 02:12AM
ttttrigg3r
From the first picture, it looks like the plastic is not sticking so well on the bed, hence the shadow on the edge closest.
What kind of warping are you seeing? Do you have the STL file of the object you are trying to print? Upload it so we can see the expected result.
Sorry about that. On the first picture it is a bit up because I pulled it off from there smiling smiley I guarantee there is a zero problem of sticking on the bed.

But if you look both pictures carefully you notice where support starts (small zig-zag) and main part is (center). Now on corner on center part they are up, it should be complitely balanced. On first picture almost whole corner is up but on the second much smaler part is up, warped.

The .stl file is huge itself, my friend wants a sword to be printed so I will look on to it.
July 29, 2014 02:13AM
If you mean warping on later layers when the nozzle passes over the print, the print starts curling up, I think the print doesn't have enough time to cool. I'm suffering on this myself especially on smaller objects. One thing I've seen recommended is change the setting so that the infill takes longer time giving the perimeters more time to cool off.
July 29, 2014 02:27AM
Im using this site to observe my gcode:

[gcode.ws]

printing speed already is really low (I will tell it soon) so should I increase fan speed?
July 29, 2014 04:07AM
Hi. After carefull examination I learned that curled part was printed on speed 60 because slicer thought it is a bridge part spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
July 29, 2014 07:06AM
Hi again.

Another attempt and another failure. I put red rings around failed spots. Strangely PLA sometimes sticks on the support frame but sometimes not.

One solution seems to be to directly cool extruded PLA and not extruder like now my printer is doing it. I can design this kind of structure easily so lets see how it turn out.

edit:

something like this:

[www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 07:12AM by calad.
Attachments:
open | download - curl.jpg (169 KB)
July 29, 2014 11:18AM
Fan fan fan. Most common [not sure how you haven't seen that yet, but everybody's experience is different] and simplest and typically the most effective fix. You need a fan blowing under/around the nozzle so that the plastic cools as quickly as possible once it leaves the nozzle.
Just a few examples.
TLDR at first, didn't see that last one. Yes, directly cooling the PLA will help. An all round blow will be most effective. Sadly I don't have that kind of space under mine with the E3D so I have been limited to one side, so I have to watch what I print and rearrange it accordingly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 11:21AM by MrDoctorDIV.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
July 29, 2014 12:44PM
This goes rather embarassing but I have fan exactly like that!

[www.thingiverse.com]

Looks like cooling is not the problem. Fan min speed is 35% and it should be enough?

What bugs me now is that on my pictures left side sticks well but right side does not. Should I assume maybe there are some balancing issues on bed or shape of hotend (jhead) is the problem, or cooler is not fast enough or something else. My printer is closed so air does not move unless I open it. Can it affect as well? It is hot summer here.
July 29, 2014 07:12PM
Check this out. I just tried it this morning and it's helping significantly.
Slicing speed Change external perimeters to 100%. Also slow down infill speed to 40 or 30mm.
Also check box "Infill before perimeters".
I'm printing at 195C on non heated bed using 3M blue tape #2093 bought from walmart. Sprayed a little bit of hairspray on to keep it sticking.

Also I find that if I print two objects at a time, it significantly reduces curling issues.
July 29, 2014 07:17PM
I've never had my fan at anything below 100%. As far as my knowledge goes, you can't have too much airflow with PLA.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
July 30, 2014 09:06AM
MrDoctorDIV
As far as my knowledge goes, you can't have too much airflow with PLA.
Double that!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login