Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wavy walls problem

Posted by Eistee 
wavy walls problem
August 06, 2014 09:14AM
Hey,

I have some problems with wavy walls (see screenshot). I think that is common problem, since i have seen it often on pictures of printed parts.
Any advices what I could try? I have tightened all belts, so that cant be the problem. I have also decreased both, acceleration and printing velocity, but the problem occurs also at low speeds (30mm/s) and low accelerations (<500).

Any ideas?
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_0462.JPG (72.3 KB)
Re: wavy walls problem
August 06, 2014 09:34AM
Some people believe it's the teeth on the belt when it touches the bearing on that axis. They have turned the belt 180 degrees in the idler bearing.
August 06, 2014 12:20PM
Do the waves match the pattern of your infill?

If so, try more perimeters.
August 07, 2014 04:18AM
Thanks for your answers, It's not the infill since there is no difference whether i print it solid or not.
August 07, 2014 09:50AM
it's the motors stepping, not the belts, turn down your motor driver currents as much as possible without dropping steps, and print as slow as you can stand to.

Run a print at 10mm/s with everything else the same.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 09:55AM by Dirty Steve.
August 07, 2014 01:44PM
I've seen this kind of thing caused by too high of an acceleration setting. I usually saw this kind of thing near to corners, and it was always on the side of the corner that the extruder was coming out of - not into. What's interesting is that when there is a horizontal hole, the ripples take a circular pattern - it literally looks like ripples on water.

I sort of explained it to myself that I was going around those corners at too high a speed and I was a bit of "shaking". Turning down the acceleration helped quite a bit.
August 08, 2014 11:29AM
It is related to the 1.8 degree step of most stepper motors, me and several people in my printing group fought with this for a while, flipped belts, toothed idlers, etc. but what reduced it the most was switching to 0.9 step motors, the ripple became exactly half.

It is due to the fact that even with micro-stepping the motors have a 'stronger' tension at it's 1.8 degree positions.
August 08, 2014 11:35AM
jbernardis is spot on. I get this on my Solidoodle as a result of such small, wide-spread rails. It's the bouncing of the extruder's weight when turning corners. I've had to cram my acceleration down to 3000mm/s2. Other ways to help are tightening belts [which you'll have to keep friction low to maintain that tightness effectively], lightening the load through bowden upgrade, etc. It's all about inertia. I also have ridging from motor steps, so I can tell you they are separate and distinct. Where what you are getting comes from corners and is called ghosting, ridging from steps is like a small grid projected down from above.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login