Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Part tolerances

Posted by JerseyGirl 
Part tolerances
September 30, 2014 12:37PM
What's more important for part dimensionality, the printer or the slicing software? I know 3d printers don't hold tight tolerances but I cant seem to ever print out mating parts from the Thingiverse that fit together. Other users seem to have been able to make the parts so I'm assuming the tolerance stack up is ok. I'm thinking the slicing software has to be the bigger factor since it has to decide how to fit the nozzle size (let's say .5) into a dimension such as 2.3. I'm using Slic3r right now.
Re: Part tolerances
October 01, 2014 05:32PM
Besides Slic3r being an inferior slicer [a few things are going to be off, dimensionally, more than others], mechanics and proper numbers are going to be the biggest difference makers. Numbers need to be as exact as possible, so that the real world can be calculated in the perfect world closely. If your numbers are perfect, than anything else can be blamed mostly upon mechanics, and in a few few cases the slicer. There are so many things in play, but it's safe to say that if all parts are done well, mechanics are going to be the biggest difference maker.
Of course, that's all in my personal experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2014 05:32PM by MrDoctorDIV.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
October 01, 2014 06:35PM
Hey MrDoc, what slicer are you using? My parts on Cura were OK. I tried Kisslicer once but the interface scared me a bit (I don't know why but it's less intuitive to me).

MrDoctorDIV
Besides Slic3r being an inferior slicer [a few things are going to be off, dimensionally, more than others], mechanics and proper numbers are going to be the biggest difference makers. Numbers need to be as exact as possible, so that the real world can be calculated in the perfect world closely. If your numbers are perfect, than anything else can be blamed mostly upon mechanics, and in a few few cases the slicer. There are so many things in play, but it's safe to say that if all parts are done well, mechanics are going to be the biggest difference maker.
Of course, that's all in my personal experience.
October 02, 2014 09:18AM
Yeah, I tried KISSlicer one time and the interface got me out, same with Skeinforge. I was using Simplify3D for a while, but it's honestly not worth $140, considering Cura does a better job than it does.
So I'm using Cura, it's got a simple, easy interface, although different, and it slices quickly and paths well. No slicer is going to magically know everything, no matter what you use you're going to need to fine tune and figure out what works best with your printer and filament.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
October 02, 2014 10:06AM
Im a big fan of Simplify3D, love the features and interface. I've used kisslicer, cura, and slic3r, got the best results using s3d personally. imo, worth the $140
October 02, 2014 10:46AM
Not to try and argue, it is a good program, it's super fast, full of features, and the supports, oh they're ungodly.
But it couldn't slice thin parts or small holes very well, especially the tubed holes that ran up and down. Other than that, it was all good as a slicer. I just have different requirements than it can fulfill. Cura has yet to slice wrong, and it's on part with speed and effectiveness, even if not with features and supports.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login