Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I hate the Thingiverse

Posted by JerseyGirl 
I hate the Thingiverse
October 01, 2014 07:02PM
I just needed to vent. Someone asked me to print something out and I just realized the idiot, who apparently is a MIT grad, made mating parts that had a line to line fit. And I thought it was me and my printer.....
Re: I hate the Thingiverse
October 02, 2014 02:39AM
confused smiley And what has a poor design got to do with Thingiverse?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
October 02, 2014 04:00AM
JerseyGirl
I just needed to vent. Someone asked me to print something out and I just realized the idiot, who apparently is a MIT grad, made mating parts that had a line to line fit. And I thought it was me and my printer.....

I don't understand any of this?

October 02, 2014 07:04AM
What don't you understand?

You always need to have a gap for mating parts.
A 2 mm x 2 mm block will not fit into a 2 mm x 2 mm hole.
Plus circular holes are always printed a little bit smaller than in the design file.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
October 02, 2014 10:36AM
If I need something to mate I model and print it myself.
Why trust some random model you found on Thingiverse? Ive downloaded tons of junk files from that site because people dont know what they are doing.
October 02, 2014 10:49AM
Or they know what they're doing, but only for their printer. I'll be honest, getting a printer to print in proper tolerance [obviously subjective more than objective] is a rare find and one who models for that kind of printer [industrial grade likely, I've seen a lot of Thingiverse posters using industrial grade commercial printers] is not going to be compatible with the rest of the world, but it will work perfectly for them.
I model most of my own parts because I know my printer sucks beyond the use of other's functional parts.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
October 02, 2014 11:32AM
I sort of don't expect great parts off the Thingiverse but when companies are uploading models to promote their business, they should check that they can be printed on a Makerbot level printer. I don't want to throw this company under the bus but when I tried to print out one of their designs for someone, every mating part had a line to line fit. I had no idea until I failed at my print, drove myself crazy for awhile, and then measured the parts to see what's up. No manufacturing process will guarantee a 10mm rod will fit in a 10mm hole. You need to account for tolerances. I was somewhat disappointed they didn't do a basic tolerance stack up.

rhmorrison
confused smiley And what has a poor design got to do with Thingiverse?
October 02, 2014 08:28PM
Yes, Thingiverse is getting polluted. It seems everybody is getting into 3D and many need to learn the basics before they contribute. It would be nice if Thingiverse had a star rating system for contributors or even for each object. I normally don't believe something will print unless they posted a photo (not rendering) of the item.
October 03, 2014 03:08AM
rhmorrison
What don't you understand?

You always need to have a gap for mating parts.
A 2 mm x 2 mm block will not fit into a 2 mm x 2 mm hole.
Plus circular holes are always printed a little bit smaller than in the design file.

Ok, I see what she means now.
By the way, there is no need to shout!

October 12, 2014 04:34PM
If I print something from thingiverse i usually print the first few layers and then stop an measure everything, then I scale based on real dimensions. When I design someting I usually add 0.2mm to holes and other features to cover for shrinkage.
October 13, 2014 10:37AM
This is not shouting...

THIS IS SHOUTING!!!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
October 15, 2014 02:03AM
rhmorrison
This is not shouting...

THIS IS SHOUTING!!!

Doesn't look like it!

October 19, 2014 08:51AM
Hi I have downloaded stuff of this site myself and nearly everyone was crap, i.e. I downloaded the minion goggles for my son, it took 12 hours to print with support. when it were finished I when to break out the support and thing broke in two and it looked crap anyway with the layering .so I designed my own to print from the lens up or face down if you like took about 14 hours to print at .2 mm height. came out spot on .ill put a pic on as soon as I can so you can see the big difference . I guess the point is if you want something perfect draw and print your self, job done winking smiley
October 19, 2014 09:29AM
Odd, I have had nothing but good luck with the items I chose to download and print on a replicator 2. I too won't bother with an item unless it has pictures of item and not just a 3d rendering... It's like Google, not all the search results are going to reliable. But you should be able to find something... And oddly enough if you search again in another week, there will be a few more to choose from.

Cheers and good luck with your next print!
October 19, 2014 02:12PM
Hi yes ya right of course im not saying that everything from the site is not by a long way its a good site , just that the stuff I have downloaded and tried to use didn't work or broke. I still have stuff I need to print that I have downloaded, but my point were if you need something special its best to do it ya self than find the one you printed isn't quite right winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login