Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with printer shifting

Posted by HereIgoAgain 
Problem with printer shifting
November 14, 2014 10:20AM
Hey everyone please view the attachment,
Don't know what else to do. I've tried checking both the x and y axis for binding and they both run smooth. I've calibrated X, Y, and Z as far as how far they travel. Every time I print at some point the X and Y get off set. Any ideas ? I'm printing on a mendel with arduino 1280 and ramps 1.4. I've tried pronterface and repetier software with basically the same results.
Attachments:
open | download - 20141114_090018.jpg (416.5 KB)
Re: Problem with printer shifting
November 14, 2014 12:03PM
Check the locking screw in your motor pulley, it might be loose, check your bearings if they are hold by zip ties.
November 14, 2014 02:41PM
Is this a new printer, or a printer that was running and now misbehaving?
Makes a big difference.

See this thread: Reprap.org

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
November 14, 2014 03:09PM
Thanks for responding. I checked the motors and the set screws are tight. Good suggestions thou...I would never have thought to check that.
Paul, the printer is old. I packed it away when we moved last year and just recently got it out again. It worked pretty well before I moved. It does have me perplexed.
November 14, 2014 04:17PM
are your belts slipping on the pulleys? or are the pulleys themselves slipping on the motor shaft?
November 14, 2014 05:37PM
Might also be software/firmware and trying to make too fast moves. Did you maybe have higher printing speeds set in your gcode generator? This can result in missed steps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2014 05:37PM by Ohmarinus.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
November 30, 2014 01:25PM
Hey again,
Haven't had a chance to respond lately but still having the same issue (see photo). Many great suggestions but still a weird issue. Took X and Y apart and made sure everything moved freely, Checked and tightened pullies attached to motors, Adjusted pot on X axis but still I get this weird shifting. Have any other ideas ?
On another matter ...When slicing the object, on a few of the prints, the print head was driven into the deck. Upon reviewing the gcode I noticed that Z was first set to 5mm then for all subsequent z moves the decimal was shifted to the left (ie. from 5mm to .5mm). so that when a print started it would drive the head into the deck...guess I'm most surprised that my z stop didn't stop this from happening ?? I struggle along...and wait for some sage advice...maybe I should try changing around the motors
November 30, 2014 01:28PM
woops.!! here's the photo
Attachments:
open | download - 20141130_102935.jpg (238.4 KB)
March 30, 2015 06:48PM
Hi again. Since my last correspondence, I replaced the moror on my xaxis , reset all pots , replaced all drive pullys (with metal ones), and still I get this shifting along the x axis (see photo). To recap, the printer worked fine before a move a made (now a couple of years ago). Ever since then
there has been shifting on the x axis for which I don't seem to be able to find a cause. Any ideas would be apprecriated. (see photo)
Attachments:
open | download - 20150330_134051.jpg (580.4 KB)
March 30, 2015 08:23PM
Hey everyone...anyone who reads this. I managed to solve my dilema. What I did was to go around to each of the pots and adjust while holding the pully of the motor being adjusted. By gently holding the pully i could adjust the pot so that enough power could be delivered...Well ok, now onto the next issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login