Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bad layer adhesion with ABS

Posted by Arakon 
Bad layer adhesion with ABS
November 30, 2014 05:16PM
I have some trouble with the layer adhesion using ABS in somewhat thinwalled objects (2mm in this case).
The picture shows one of the two parts that broke off with the part they broke off of. It takes just a little bit of pressure between two fingers to make it snap. When looking at the broken edge, it's quite visible that the filament laid down is in a roundish shape still and not squished into the next layer. However, the bed is leveled correctly and thicker objects seem quite sturdy. Sliced with Cura on a mendel90 with 0.3mm layer height.
Is this just something that is common, or is there a fix for this?
Attachments:
open | download - 20141130_230031.jpg (426.5 KB)
Re: Bad layer adhesion with ABS
November 30, 2014 10:44PM
Slow down the speed, or increase temperature and try to enclose the printer to protect it from cool drafts.
November 30, 2014 11:28PM
Something I recently discovered to help adhesion with thin walls, make only 1 perimeter and solid infill, this way it does a zigzag and this puts more plastic between.

Another question is how is the height of the item? If it's taller that it should be then your Z axis needs to be calibrated and this would cause less smooshing (<-- highly technical term) of layers together. As mentioned higher temp and prevent drafts is also helpful.
November 30, 2014 11:52PM
Reference link #3 of Nophead's comments under PTPG Material Feed, Excessive entry for some calibration info.
December 01, 2014 12:53AM
ggherbaz
Slow down the speed, or increase temperature and try to enclose the printer to protect it from cool drafts.

Forgot to mention, it is enclosed (cardboard box).
The height is off a little, but actually a little low (1.96mm vs. 2mm).
The outer/inner perimeters are already going slower (to improve looks), 30/40 mm/s vs. the original 50.
Temperature is 230°, this ABS is already fully printable at 210°, so I am not sure going even higher would help?
I'll try higher with the next print.
@rrr7: That seems to assume that the printer may be underextruding.. with another issue I had (overhangs) I was told it's overextruding. Increasing or decreasing flow rate ended up with worse results, so I am fairly sure my current flow/extruder setting is correct.
@tmorris: Unfortunately only the last part of that object is thin, the rest is much thicker.. 100% infill would make it much heavier, which isn't a great thing on a flying machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2014 12:55AM by Arakon.
December 02, 2014 06:08PM
My layer adhesion issues were mainly caused by not enough temperature and uninsulated hot end heater block. The biggest improvement came from a temperature bump. I was running the standard temperatures that everybody quotes for ABS and PLA. The material I had evidently need more that the standard. I have found that materials from different manufactures have different viscosities at the same temperature. To archive the proper viscosity for the layer to get smashed into the next enough, a higher temp was needed that what was stated. One roll of PLA need a lower temp because it was way too runny at normal temp.

Make sure your layer height is a good fit for your nozzle size and a multiple of your z axis's resolution. Make sure your Z steps are configured property by measuring your z axis distance from a fixed point, telling it to raise the axis so many MM, and then measuring again from that fixed point to make sure it moved as far as it was suppose to.
December 03, 2014 09:25AM
Correct, I have been running my ABS at 270c without issues and much better layer adhesion.
December 03, 2014 09:29AM
My hotend is limited to 250°, but 240 already seems to improve matters. Thanks.
December 03, 2014 01:33PM
Im assuming you have a J-head and not an all metal hot end then.
In that case you can only go as high as your extruder will allow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login