Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS overhang printing issues

Posted by sodonnell 
ABS overhang printing issues
January 28, 2015 10:36PM
Thanks to the extremely helpful reprap community I was able to concur the evil curling overhangs with a 1.5 w/t and a printing temperature of 250C. However I now have another issue, while attempting to print the heart gear some of the teeth come out less than perfect specifically in , however some teeth come out nicely. I am slicing with Cura and I set my outer shell speed to 20mm/s. is this due to the layer always starting or ending there? Do I need more retraction? Any help would be awesome....I can almost taste completion.

Thanks!!!!!
Attachments:
open | download - CAM01066.jpg (543.9 KB)
open | download - CAM01068.jpg (541.9 KB)
Re: ABS overhang printing issues
January 29, 2015 05:32PM
250C is very hot if your thermistor is Ok. I have used max. 235C on ABS. Your part looks too melted. Use a fan or lower your hotend temp or draw a perfect support structure. My little parts got better with a fan and a duct (ABS). And I mean a fan blowing to the plastic, not a hotend cooler.

P.S. Slic3r has a random layer starting point option I think....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 05:35PM by Plasteroid.

Prusa i3, Ramps 1.4. Catnozzle 0.4mm
SketchUp - Enveloping Globoid Worm Gear - Part One - 3D Printed: [youtu.be]
DesignSpark Mechanical & more precise screw thread: [youtu.be]
Nicer Screw Thread In SketchUp ( Bolts,Nuts): [youtu.be]
How To Model A Heart Shape In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
How To Draw 3D Printable Snap Fit Ball Joint In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
January 29, 2015 07:32PM
When I ran at 230C I had curling on my overhangs. I adjusted my xyjerk and I am printing now. If that does nothing I will try out the fan.
January 29, 2015 09:56PM
Xyjerk did not change anything. The fan prevented the print from sticking to the bed properly. I believe it's caused by the print starting and stopping in the same place. Will a z-lift help?

Thanks
January 30, 2015 04:46AM
How hot your bed is? I have 110C and I start the fan after the first layer and I use ABS juice. My ABS curling has gone better with a 40mm fan which has a tiny tip duct. Perhaps your blows too much?

January 30, 2015 11:28AM
A fan blowing onto your print when using ABS!?
Such a fan is only needed when printing PLA, don't use a fan when printing ABS.

@Plasteroid; I print ABS at 250 C also, the manufacturer of the ABS advises between 220 and 260 C
January 30, 2015 12:39PM
Yea I tried a fan previously with negative results and I figure I would give it a shot again. Like I said before I have not had any success with one. But can a retraction help improve the blobs created when the extruder moves to the next layer?
January 30, 2015 03:39PM
You you have Z lift enabled? I had the same blobs when I had it on.
Since I turned it off I have no more blobs.
January 30, 2015 04:13PM
Hey! I thought that a fan is bad for ABS. But then there was this on the forum: [forums.reprap.org] . I think that a fan can "freeze" ABS before it starts curling up. It can also prevent ABS sticking so perhaps it is some kind of "correct balance" what it needs? On big parts I don't usually use the fan, but look what I achieved to print with a fan on: [youtu.be]

...and it was ABS plastic.

P.S. Is it good ABS if you need 250C? Perhaps your printer wobbles when doing some direction changes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 04:14PM by Plasteroid.

January 31, 2015 05:24AM
What tem is your bed? I am guessing 100c or more? Lower it to 90c
January 31, 2015 12:42PM
I lowered my hot end temp to about 240C....that is the lowest I can go without curling. I also set up retraction at 35mm/s and .5mm with some positive results. My bed is currently at 110C. Now I get small blobs on the parts only on 1 or 2 teeth of the gear (still trying to print the heart gear) and then along the tops when it is creating the rounded sides. Would this be a sign that I need more retraction distance or speed or is this something that just happens and cannot be fixed. I will post reference photos after I take them.

Thanks for all your help.
January 31, 2015 12:51PM

January 31, 2015 08:20PM
I meant to say Bed temperature in my post. Lower it to 85c or 90c.
February 02, 2015 09:32AM
Thanks for the response. What will lowering the bed temp achieve?
February 03, 2015 04:12PM
When the heat from the bed is high matches up with the heater block (same side) the part can get overly hot on that side and cause shrinkage and the same effect your photo shows.

[reprap.org]

Scroll down to "Part Temperature" that black block is mine and the problem went away with turning the bed temp down. It was highly prominant on the side where the heater block on the hotend was.
February 04, 2015 02:33PM
My tuppence worth.

My settings for ABS are:
Hotend temp of 230 or max 235 deg C for ABS. No fan.
Increase acceleration to get sharper corners. Set Slic3R on perimeters first, then infil.
No lift on layer change. Retract on layer change, 2.5mm retraction. Seam position aligned.
External perimeters first - leave this unticked, so most layer change blobs are on the inside.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login