Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Holes at sharp turns and angles

Posted by Jedimaster711 
Holes at sharp turns and angles
February 28, 2015 02:56PM
So yesterday i tried printing off a test vase, and for some reason all along the edge, after the turns it got these little gaps where the filament got strectched thin. I am printing on a prusa I3 which has been modified from a bowden tube to have a 2 inch long bowden/direct hybrid.

here are the slic3r configs that i'm using with Repetier host if that helps anyone

# generated by Slic3r 1.1.7 on Sat Feb 28 14:37:31 2015
avoid_crossing_perimeters = 0
bed_size = 200,200
bed_temperature = 60
bottom_solid_layers = 5
bridge_acceleration = 9000
bridge_fan_speed = 100
bridge_flow_ratio = 1
bridge_speed = 60
brim_width = 0
complete_objects = 1
cooling = 1
default_acceleration = 9000
disable_fan_first_layers = 2
dont_support_bridges = 1
duplicate_distance = 6
end_gcode = G91 ; switch to relative\nG1 Z30\nG90 ; switch to absolute\nG1 X0 Y200 ; home X, Y axis\nM190 S0 ; turn off heatbed\nM104 S0 ; turn off temperature\nM84 ; disable motors\n
external_perimeter_speed = 70%
external_perimeters_first = 0
extra_perimeters = 1
extruder_clearance_height = 50
extruder_clearance_radius = 50
extruder_offset = 0x0
extrusion_axis = E
extrusion_multiplier = 1
extrusion_width = 0
fan_always_on = 1
fan_below_layer_time = 60
filament_diameter = 1.72
fill_angle = 45
fill_density = 0%
fill_pattern = honeycomb
first_layer_acceleration = 9000
first_layer_bed_temperature = 70
first_layer_extrusion_width = 200%
first_layer_height = 0.3
first_layer_speed = 25%
first_layer_temperature = 193
g0 = 0
gap_fill_speed = 20
gcode_arcs = 0
gcode_comments = 0
gcode_flavor = reprap
infill_acceleration = 9000
infill_every_layers = 1
infill_extruder = 1
infill_extrusion_width = 0
infill_first = 0
infill_only_where_needed = 0
infill_speed = 80
interface_shells = 0
layer_gcode =
layer_height = 0.2
max_fan_speed = 100
min_fan_speed = 60
min_print_speed = 10
min_skirt_length = 0
notes =
nozzle_diameter = 0.4
only_retract_when_crossing_perimeters = 1
ooze_prevention = 0
output_filename_format = [input_filename_base].gcode
overhangs = 1
perimeter_acceleration = 9000

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2015 10:26PM by Jedimaster711.
Attachments:
open | download - config.ini (3.2 KB)
open | download - Giant_Plus_Vase.stl (424.9 KB)
Re: Holes at sharp turns and angles
February 28, 2015 08:59PM
Somehow the images don't work. Howcome?

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
February 28, 2015 09:48PM
Check this site for an explanation of how to tweak the settings for optimal infill: richrap.blogspot.com/2015/01/slic3r-advanced-perimeter-tuning-3d.html
February 28, 2015 10:27PM
There we go, I think I got the images working this time
February 28, 2015 11:01PM
Is the file for the vase hollow or a solid model?
If the walls have a set thickness, in those spots it may be too thin.
The best way to print a vase it to have a solid model (closed on top and bottom). Print with either a set number of perimeters or wall thickness (ex. 3 perimeters or 2mm wall thickness). Bottom layers match wall thickness / perimeters. Top layers set to 0. With 0% infill.
March 01, 2015 01:03AM
alright i went ahead and uploaded the file for the vase on the first comment, but it is indeed a solid model, and then i printed it using the spiral vase option so that it gradually goes up throughout the print and i dont get layer shift blobs. it is set at 0% infill and without a top as the pictures show, and the wall thickness is set to 0 for auto-calculation.

looking at it, i think it may be caused by acceleration control (which smooths the acceleration at turns to lower head jerking and gives sharper corners) and then after the corner when the head is speeding up again , the filament doesnt have enough pressure since it slowed too, so the extrusion rate is essentially lagging behind the head movement by a little bit. this seems logical to me since with my converted semi-bowden setup i still a slight bit of extrusion delay/ooze.

now the only question, is what can i change to get the flow rate to catch up with the head movement?
March 01, 2015 03:16AM
sorry I don't know your last question, but I know you may can ask the customer service?
March 01, 2015 03:23AM
well, its just a bit of lag between when the extruder motor speeds up, and when the pressure causes the extrusion to speed up. this is a pretty small delay, but its still enough to make it where the extrusion rate gets shifted around the perimeter a bit resulting in thicker corners and thin spots after the corners.

and im using Slic3r so there is not really "customer" support, i was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a way to fix this by tweaking settings
March 03, 2015 12:00PM
alright so I turned off acceleration settings and printed it again. unfortunately I am still having the same line of holes/gaps down the side. although it turns out the holes are actually right before the corners, not after them as I was thinking does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

also on a slightly unrelated note, I am using Spiral vase mode, but it is still pausing at one spot for just a split second each layer
March 04, 2015 09:39PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login