Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Favorite Test Print Object

Posted by AquaticsLive 
Favorite Test Print Object
March 09, 2015 02:56PM
Wondering what are some of the favorite test prints out there.

I have seen some pretty bad prints, but people don't relize they have an issue just used to it printing bad. I have been looking for something cool to print to check my settings and just show that everything is basically okay, may not be expert level precision but acceptable. Something to test it out every once in awhile. I have been printing a few items and doing measuring, but a fun object to test it out would be much nicer than having a pile of little pieces laying around.

Any ideas?
Re: Favorite Test Print Object
March 09, 2015 03:15PM
That heavily depends on what you're trying to test, and your settings will likely be different for different types of prints.

Buckyballs are cool, I wouldn't mind having a huge pile of these on my desk: [www.thingiverse.com]
Also I like this gyro, and this will certainly put your printer to the test: [www.thingiverse.com]

For actual calibration objects, these two are nice, [www.thingiverse.com] I'm printing out the overhang one right now, and this will be about the 10th one I've printed in the past few days trying to get it to print perfectly.

Vases are really great. They print really fast, dont use much filament, and are beautiful. [www.thingiverse.com]
March 09, 2015 04:48PM
Thanks those are pretty cool.

My focus is to find something fun to print that when it fails I need to dig deeper and figure out what it wrong. I am also helping some friends build machines passing on some of my spare parts and things to help grow the hobby. I am trying to find something for them to print when they all get done. Three friends building new machines at the same time. Might be a slight competition going on too lol!
March 10, 2015 12:43PM
Treefrog is always fun And you can usually give it away afterwards.

Its got a good overhang underneath.
Its back shows how well the plastic is melting together.
The legs are fairly thin and the ears need the printer to slow down to give good definition.

Gordon
March 10, 2015 03:16PM
Thanks, that sounds cool I will give it a shot and see how it turns out.
March 10, 2015 08:35PM
I often use the hollow dodecahedron on Thingyverse, usually at half scale. It doesn't take too long, but it tests overhangs and bridges quite well.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login