Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Panic button?

Posted by foul_owl 
Panic button?
April 16, 2015 07:54PM
Hi folks,

What's an actual panic button for Pronterface? "pause" doesn't work, "off" doesn't work, "disconnect" doesn't work, and "reset" doesn't work.

I end up having to yank the printer power when the print starts to go south.

How do I cause the print to stop instantly via software?

Thanks!
Re: Panic button?
April 16, 2015 08:52PM
M112
April 16, 2015 09:23PM
The reset button on the arduino will do it. I tapped off of the button to make an actual panic button on my printer frame. When your print head us trying to drive through the bed, there isn't time to enter m112.
April 16, 2015 09:25PM
I use Repetier host and it has an "Emergency Stop" button that works with the 2 printers I have owned. Repetier host also has a much better interface and just seems to work all around better than Pronterface.
April 17, 2015 04:17AM
Well, I did not trust to software. I have put a panic switch between power and motors.

Prusa i3, Ramps 1.4. Catnozzle 0.4mm
SketchUp - Enveloping Globoid Worm Gear - Part One - 3D Printed: [youtu.be]
DesignSpark Mechanical & more precise screw thread: [youtu.be]
Nicer Screw Thread In SketchUp ( Bolts,Nuts): [youtu.be]
How To Model A Heart Shape In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
How To Draw 3D Printable Snap Fit Ball Joint In SketchUp: [youtu.be]
April 17, 2015 09:50AM
Plasteroid
Well, I did not trust to software. I have put a panic switch between power and motors.

I agree for this particular issue. Any command you enter on the host software - either directly or by pressing a button - is subject to whatever logic is built into the firmware. I know that when the axes are homing, the firmware does not send temperature reports; I can only imagine that it isn't going to respond to commands at this time too. Since runaway homing is the most likely cause of a crash - at least for me - I wanted there to be no doubt. That's why I chose the arduino reset button.
April 17, 2015 02:52PM
I have been printing from my SD card recently, getting mixed results when using Repetier Host's emergency stop button (due to firmware, not software issues as jbernardis suggested). Forunately no need yet to "kill" the print, so the reset switch on the RAMPS board has been working fine for me.

Would be nice to have a big red button staring at me though.
April 17, 2015 03:01PM
Kurzaa
... due to firmware, not software issues as jbernardis suggested...

jbernardis
... is subject to whatever logic is built into the firmware ...

Actually I was attributing my issues to firmware too smiling smiley
April 17, 2015 03:17PM
jbernardis
Kurzaa
... due to firmware, not software issues as jbernardis suggested...

jbernardis
... is subject to whatever logic is built into the firmware ...

Actually I was attributing my issues to firmware too smiling smiley

Thats what I meant, agreeing with you on the firmware. Obviously I need to go home for the weekend, not typing straight.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login