Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Holes in top layer

Posted by barakori 
Holes in top layer
April 16, 2015 11:57PM
Best seen in a picture:

The original model has a solid top: Bill Cipher Pendant.

I'm printing at 0.2mm height and the top 3 layers are solid in the gcode (too big to be attached here).

What could cause these holes? Is this temperature related? I'm printing at 225C with ABS.

Thanks.
Re: Holes in top layer
April 17, 2015 01:46AM
Not enough top layers. either go up on infill percentage or up in top layers, I usually use 6.
April 17, 2015 02:20AM
Thanks for the info. I'll try it, although I've seen that 3 layers is pretty much recommended all around.

Also, I'm printing at10% infill, and then at the last 3 infill layers use a much denser infill, and then the top 3 layers are solid.
This looks something like this:

So layer top - 6 (the last 10% infill layer) is indeed not very condensed.
Then layer top - 5 has diagonal TR-BL lines at around 50%.
Layer top - 4 has diagonal TL-BR lines.
Layer top - 3 has diagonal TR-BL lines.
Then the last 3 layers are solid.

This seems to be a solid enough foundation. WDYT?

Thanks.
April 17, 2015 03:01AM
Yes, it definitely looks good. That was the method you used for the part in the photo? If so, what was the speed? Maybe slow down in top layers will help with filling the gaps.
April 18, 2015 02:57PM
I'm actually printing quite slow: 25mm/sec for the top (solid) area and 18mm/sec for the outer loops.
Also, I tried increasing the top layers to 6, and actually got worse results:

Notice the top area should be completely solid and two holes in it, one really big. Holes are also present at the top of the left piece (it's an Ender Dragon's mouth part) - The top should be solid, but has a series of holes.

Could this be because the head melts the plastic after printing it? Maybe I'm using a temperature that's too high? I'm using 225C, which should be reasonable for ABS.

Thanks.
April 18, 2015 06:23PM
There is another post where the same problem was showing in the top layer of a bigger piece, and both you and him were using hex infill. Can you switch to rectilinear infill and try printing again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login