2nd layer does not stick to first layer

Posted by foul_owl 
2nd layer does not stick to first layer
April 23, 2015 09:09PM
Hi folks,

Printing at 230C.

First layer sticks fine. Second layer does not stick to first layer, like so:
[i.imgur.com]

What could be the issue? I have never even heard or seen something like this happen before.

Filament type is ABS, Chi Mei PA-747. No bubbles or dead spots on the filament. Filament has not been stored.

Thanks.
Re: 2nd layer does not stick to first layer
April 23, 2015 09:23PM
Too cold extrusion and too fast for temperature. These are the logic assumptions, but you might have to modify your extrusion width and calibrate your first layer a little better.

You don't mention bed temperature, a factor that can also affect printing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 09:24PM by ggherbaz.
June 03, 2015 01:09AM
Thank you! The fix was to set the extrusion width to 0.5 mm in slic3r.
July 21, 2015 02:30AM
I also had to crank the extrusion temp up to 260C. People have been saying this is too hot, so I've been experimenting with lower temps. Ran into this issue again today once I dropped it back down to 230C.
July 21, 2015 04:31AM
I noticed that a two stage approach works quite well, especially if the bed is not 100% even.
So I print the first layer at a temp that is a bit too high, for ABS 255.
Second layer is dropped by 10 degrees and from the third on I use the normal temp.
Depending on the type and brand of ABS the final temp is between 210 and 235 degrees C.
July 25, 2015 10:17PM
Thomas Sanladerer (a great 3D printing wiz on youtube) once mentioned that he ran into trouble if the heated bed was off for the first layer, and because it turns on for the second and up, the bed actually warped down away from the head. Also, make sure that your first layer extrusion width in slicer is about 200%. As always, tinker with anything you can change.

Master Tinkerer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login