Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adhesion problems with larger nozzle size.

Posted by Frans_Printa 
Adhesion problems with larger nozzle size.
May 03, 2015 11:21AM
I recently changed my nozzle from size 0.4 to 0.8, to be able to print larger objects in reasonable time. Now I'm having some difficulties to get the layers to stick to the layer below it seems. The gaps as you can see are created when the nozzle leaves the edge and going in or out while printing the thin walls. I'm using a prusa i3, slic3r, 0.4 layer height. Does anyone have any suggestions how to solve this issue? Thanks, Frans.

Re: Adhesion problems with larger nozzle size.
May 03, 2015 11:58AM
That's an interesting object. What materiel are you printing with? In the second photo it looks like filament has pulled away from the complete width of the the 3 perimeter inner cylinder. Is it possible that the thin walled radials are cooling more quickly than the thicker inner and outer walls, shrinking and pulling away? If so, you might need a heated chamber to control the cooling more evenly, or to make the radials thicker so that they cool at a similar rate to the cylinders.
May 03, 2015 12:51PM
PLA. It seems like on the first 2-3mm after starting to print after a retraction/jump the filament doesn't stick and is dragged a few millimeters. It's hard to explain, but it is only at points where the extruder has retracted and starts to print again i get gaps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 01:21PM by Frans_Printa.
May 03, 2015 01:44PM
Being a much bigger nozzle maybe your extruder cant quite keep up all the time pumping through the filament?
So its retracted but then needs to very quickly extrude again to fill the melt chamber ready to print but not getting quite enough in time?

Gordon

Gordon
Currently have a tweaked mendel prusa i2
About to build a P3Steel.
[scratchpad.thisandthose.org]

Printer for hire.
[www.3dhubs.com]

Member of South London Makerspace:
[southlondonmakerspace.org]
May 05, 2015 11:31PM
Cut in half your retraction and increase your temp 5 to 10 degrees. If you want to keep your retraction settings then increase your extruder acceleration.
May 11, 2015 04:36AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried to disable retraction and increase extruder temperature, but there is no improvement.
May 11, 2015 10:08AM
Instead of using 0 in extrusion width for automatic calibration, change it to same size as nozzle or even 0.02 smaller and do a few layers test.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login