Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print Bed Glass - Avoid Bull Clips

Posted by ndillane1 
Print Bed Glass - Avoid Bull Clips
May 31, 2015 08:34PM
Hi
I am using a K8200/3DRAG printer

I have added a glass plate to improve flatness and adhesion.

I need 4 metal bull clips to keep the glass in place

I am wondering how I get the head to avoid these clips as is crashes into to them when homing etc

tks
Noel
Re: Print Bed Glass - Avoid Bull Clips
May 31, 2015 09:53PM
If you mean bulldog clips, they may be too high profile. Normally binder clips are used, and I use the smallest that will fit, as far to the edge as they will go. That puts them outside of all the endstops and there's no crashing.
May 31, 2015 11:56PM
Swiss clips may be an option..

like these.... [www.ukpictureframingsupplies.co.uk]

A lot of picture frame supplies have them, they come in several different sizes. 11mm , 7.5mm, etc.

cheers
June 01, 2015 03:09AM
I use Swiss clips on my Ormerod, with 3mm fibreglass (originally MDF) backing plates to make removal easier:

On my large delta, I designed the bed with a 15mm margin outside the printable area to give room for fixing posts and bed clips.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 03:10AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

June 01, 2015 08:37AM
Thanks for these suggestions - I will look into them

I rarely print stuff 20 X 20 - Is there a way to "redefine" the size of the bed in s/ware terms so that the firmware assumes a smaller bed and therefore avoids the clips

tks again
Noel
June 01, 2015 01:43PM
I use supaclips, but you do need an aplicator to fit them.
But they are very low profile and when on dont move.
[www.amazon.co.uk]

Gordon

Gordon
Currently have a tweaked mendel prusa i2
About to build a P3Steel.
[scratchpad.thisandthose.org]

Printer for hire.
[www.3dhubs.com]

Member of South London Makerspace:
[southlondonmakerspace.org]
June 01, 2015 04:56PM
print your own clips smiling smiley

like a simple [ shape
June 08, 2015 05:06PM
I use the small binder clips, but the head was hitting one of the clips when I would HOME the bed.

My HOME position is in the right rear corner of the print bed, so the right rear clip was getting knocked about. My axis homes in the X direction first, the Y direction second and the Z direction last.

I believe I read somewhere in one of the threads that you can set your HOME movements to begin with whatever axis you prefer first, so I may change mine to HOME the Y axis first, THEN the X axis so it doesn't hit the clip.
June 08, 2015 07:49PM
I like the sound of homing Z to max, and doing Z first. Not sure why that isn't the standard setup.
June 09, 2015 03:14AM
RepRapFirmware for Duet electronics uses macro files to perform homing. The standard way these files are set up is to raise the head a few mm before X and/or Y are homed, and lower it to the original position afterwards. This makes sure that the head avoids the bed clips. It also avoids dragging the head across the bed if the head is at Z=0 initially.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login