Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Polulu A4988 behaving differently from clone

Posted by CraigMoberg 
Polulu A4988 behaving differently from clone
July 08, 2015 03:15PM
I was having extruder problems, and one of my diagnostic steps was to replace the clone A4988 stepper driver that came with the kit with a genuine Polulu.

The problem turned out to be something else, but the extruder behaved weirdly with the Polulu, both when printing and manually extruding.

I didn't change anything else -- the vref was tuned the same (0.35) and all jumpers were installed with both. I could hear the motor stuttering, and the extrusion was wavy. (Didn't take a picture.) Also, I couldn't turn the motor shaft by hand until I powered off. I remember reading what this last thing indicated, but forgot what.

I put the clone back on, and the motor ran smoothly and extruded fine. Do I have to do something else to get the Polulu to work? Does it require a different vref? I did play with that value, with no effect.

Thanks.

Prusa I3 from Folgertech
RAMPS 1.4
NEMA 17 2.6kg/cm Stepper Motor
Re: Polulu A4988 behaving differently from clone
July 08, 2015 03:30PM
Compare the shunt resistors of the clone and the pololu. If they are different, also Vref has to be different .
-Olaf
Attachments:
open | download - shunt_location.jpg (95.6 KB)
July 09, 2015 12:28PM
Is there a reference guide, or formula, for determining the correct vref for a given shunt resistor?
July 10, 2015 03:38AM
For the A4982 and A4988, Vref = I * Rs * 8 as far as I recall.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 10, 2015 01:30PM
"I" is what? (I'm not an electronics guy.)

I tried values between .35 and .5 with no difference in motor behavior. I know the vref gives the motor enough power to do the job right, not too much and not too little -- but what would cause the stuttering/staccato motion? What does being unable to turn the shaft by hand indicate?

Thanks.
July 10, 2015 02:53PM
V=volts (voltage)
I=amps (current)
R=ohms (resistance)

V=IR

- Tim
July 12, 2015 05:48AM
If the genuine Pololu is misbehaving at 0.4v. then I suspect the chip is faulty.

Click here to login