Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Interior diameter of prints too small

Posted by animoose 
Interior diameter of prints too small
July 11, 2015 07:47PM
I've been printing some bushings intended to replace LM8UU bearings, and I find that the interior dimensions are consistently too small. I used several different models, all of them with good reputations (example: [www.thingiverse.com]), and in each case they were very tight on an 8mm chrome rod which a normal LM8UU moves quite smoothly on. Similarly, I printed a model for the Y axis mount for such a bearing (something like [www.thingiverse.com], though not this specific model), and both a real LM8UU and the printed bushings won't quite fit it, though the screw holes look as if they are on the right spacing and everything else is square and measures up.

I am printing in PLA using Repetier host and Slic3r, 0.2mm for the bushings and 0.3mm for the Y mount, on a Folger 2020 i3 variant. Is there some setting I could adjust to help fix this? I could tweak the models, but would prefer not to do that.

See my blog at [moosteria.blogspot.com].
Re: Interior diameter of prints too small
July 11, 2015 11:20PM
Holes will always print a bit small due to the way the printers work (it's been heavily discussed many times). That being said you would think that a person that designs a replacement for a bearing they would take that into account. Other things that can affect hole size are speed (too fast can make them a bit smaller) also extrusion amount, if your machine is over extruding then it would also make the hole a bit smaller, this can be fixed by adjusting extrusion multiplier (1 = full extrusion amount while smaller numbers like .85 = less extrusion and larger numbers like 1.1 = more extrusion).
July 11, 2015 11:42PM
Thank you, good suggestions. I'll try them out. I was printing quite slowly, but I do think my printer tends to overextrude a little.

July 12, 2015 02:11AM
I find that setting 'External perimeters first' in slic3r reduces the magnitude of this problem.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 12, 2015 04:49AM
I went a different way with Cura:
I just scale the parts up or down in the direction, where I need it.
Recently I printed a clarinet reed at 75% z-scale to make it swing nice. (80% to make it swing at all)
-Olaf
July 12, 2015 01:36PM
I just tried a print with both 0.85 extrusion and External perimeters first, and it makes a big difference. Thanks for these ideas.

July 13, 2015 11:31PM
.85 extrusion multiplier or something else?
July 13, 2015 11:44PM
msaeger
.85 extrusion multiplier or something else?

Extrusion multiplier, in the filament settings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login