how do i Calibrate the filement

Posted by john stocks 
how do i Calibrate the filement
July 16, 2015 05:18PM
can anyone tell me how to calibrate my filement flow as it never sits at 1.75
readings are 1.89 1.68 1.72 1.78 ect ect seems to stop half way in the print
Re: how do i Calibrate the filement
July 16, 2015 07:00PM
It's in your slicer. You don't mention which one you use but in Slc3r it's under Filament Settings / Diameter
July 16, 2015 07:42PM
Take about 1 meter of filament and use calipers to take ten measurements of its diameter over those 3 meters. Average it out and put that value in as the filament diameter.

For example, mine averaged out 1.74 rather than 1.75 so I put 1.74 as my filament diameter. Also be sure to set the correct nozzle diameter and extrusion settings as that will affect how much is extruded.

Cheers!
July 17, 2015 12:19AM
What calipers are you using? I wasted 20 bucks on some crappy ones, and they never have a perfect zero on them, but they don't loose distance and are somewhat accurate. The Inland PLA I've been using measures anywhere from 1.752 to 1.61, which is a considerably smaller margin than your measurements. you can do a quick test by printing a stair step cube or something, but print it solid. If its over extruding, there will be blobs everywhere because unlike with infill, there is no space for the extra material to go.

smiling smiley

Master Tinkerer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login