Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

oozing?

Posted by gianni21 
oozing?
July 25, 2015 04:22AM
What's happening here? The spinning top's upper pin should look like the golden one: shorter and linear.
Instead in the other two attempts it's quite ugly and longer, is it oozing?
Attachments:
open | download - FullSizeRender.jpg (185 KB)
Re: oozing?
July 25, 2015 04:41AM
Usually it's heat related. For smaller areas use slow down and/or cooling fan to print better. Also make sure it's not over extruding. Lowering the temperature is also an option. If your slicer supports different temperatures per layer you may want to experiment with that. You can also edit the gcode and insert a lower temp when the thin part starts. If you own a lc display, use the tune menu to adjust the temperature.
Different color filament may need different temperatures, also check diameter so that it's not over extruding.
July 27, 2015 02:05AM
Unfortunately I use slic3r and it doesn't seem supporting different temperature sets, I tried to lower temperature but the result is as ugly as the previous one.
I though maybe it's a leveling issue... but I printed a calibration cube and it looks pretty nice.
July 27, 2015 09:24AM
Are you using separately calibrated filament profiles for each model with a different filament?

Master Tinkerer
July 27, 2015 04:34PM
I use the tower method, print the object you want and a z calibration type tower along side it. Scale the tower to the height of your desired object. As it prints the tower it will allow the thin/small layers to cool. This ensures the highly detailed areas of your object are printed well. Failing that print two of your object.
July 28, 2015 06:24AM
Mainly I print PLA 1.75 and the range of temperature is more or less the same regardless the color/brand used.
How would you calibrate a filament profile?

The tower trick, conceptually speaking, seems not a bad idea!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2015 06:25AM by gianni21.
July 28, 2015 08:24AM
What hotend are you using? Also, what are the two temps that you tried?

Master Tinkerer
July 28, 2015 09:35AM
Direct Extruder, it includes an M6 barrel with teflon tube inside.
In this configuration it needs a 1.75mm filament.

Temp ranges varied from 180 to 210... with two temps you meant first layer and other layers?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2015 09:41AM by gianni21.
July 28, 2015 10:53PM
Slic3r also has a short layer time setting- Filament settings - cooling section - 'cooling threshold'(at the bottom of the page) ... any layer less than that time will turn on fan and/or slow printing speed. Similar to the Z-tower method, you're still simply giving the material time to cool & solidify a bit before moving on to the next layer.

As the layers get smaller the plastic is still hot & squishy ... so you push more squishy plastic on top of squishy plastic ... it will drag some of it around as it prints and people typically get your result.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login