Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with MK8 extruder hot end

Posted by Petrstep 
Problem with MK8 extruder hot end
September 08, 2015 12:45PM
Hi, I'm having a problem with the extruder of my Geeetech prusa I3 pro x printer. I'm new to 3D printing. The printer worked fine for about one and a half week. But now I have a problem with burning plastic smell of the extruder. I have disassembled the extruder and found only a few parts that are made from plastic. It is a small PTFE tube in the hot end and the insulation around the hot end. Please don't reply that it could be smell of filament(I'm currently only using PLA) because i know how it smells. The PTFE tube looks ok and only the insulation around the hot end looks a bit burned like it can be seen in the images. But I thought that it is made of fiberglass and wrapped in kapton tape isn't it? So how could it burn in such low temperatures somewhere around 200 degrees celsius? If it is not this then I failed to localize anything else that could make this smell when heated. Can it be the nozzle? Or anything else? Thanks.

Re: Problem with MK8 extruder hot end
September 08, 2015 03:30PM
I have a Geeetech Prusa i3 and I saw the same problem with the PTFE tube. After I got a 2mm drill bit and drill it up to down (extruder for 1.75 filament). It's work! You can try it and don't forget to change or clean the your nozzle.
September 09, 2015 02:35AM
Are you sure the smell comes from the hotend? Could it be the power connector or one of the other high amp connectors?
Maybe a FET is pressed against some plastic?
PVC insulated heat bed wiring is also a candidate to melt and smell.
-Olaf
September 09, 2015 05:18AM
I have removed all and heated only the extruder. The heater block insulation seems to be the problem. Can I remove it until I find some replacement? And what materials do you use to insulate the hot end?
September 09, 2015 10:25AM
I´m running my e3d clone hotends without any insulation. ( Not recommended, but it works for me )
Some people use a few layers of Kapton tape.
-Olaf
September 09, 2015 01:41PM
Petrstep
I have removed all and heated only the extruder. The heater block insulation seems to be the problem. Can I remove it until I find some replacement?

If you do remove it, do so carefully. It's difficult to be sure that it doesn't contain asbestos.
September 10, 2015 10:35AM
My MK8 didn't come from China with any type of insulation at all. (Cheap I3 off the Bay but heck it works) It has worked fine using PLA for almost a year now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login