Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X-Axis is suddenly moving to a complete wrong position

Posted by strawmedia 
X-Axis is suddenly moving to a complete wrong position
September 20, 2015 09:40AM
First of all, what im using:

Ramps 1.4 with 3 A4988 and 1 DRV8825 (replaced one Stepstick due to failure). An i3 Style Printer from China. Slic3r as Slicer and Marlin as the Firmware. With an Pi attached to it for octoprint

I had a problem with the Z-Axis Stepper to drive the steppers, as the driver had overheating issue even with an extra cooler on the ramps. One day I wanted to touch it and the Heatsink felt of, touching 2 pins and causing a small spark. I powered everything of immediately, being worried that something broke. Bought a DRV8825 (due to higher max. Amps) and installed it. I tried to print a test cube and everything went fine with it. Then I tried 3dbenchy and it began to move the layer too far away (as seen on the picture). Now im not really sure why this happened and would be really happy if someone could help me out smiling smiley

I also had an issue while building the kit: the left Z-Axis was hard to move, not quite sure if this is due to the X-Axis Stepper which adds weight or due to some tolerance issues with the kit. I already made sure that both axis line up (same distance to the top and bottom)

Settings from slic3r (3dbenchy gcode)

Link to the printer I bought
Re: X-Axis is suddenly moving to a complete wrong position
September 20, 2015 12:58PM
To avoid overheating the Z stepper motor driver when you have two Z motors, connect the motors in series instead of in parallel, then turn the current down on the driver. Those stick on heatsinks don't really help because the driver chips are designed to be cooled from underneath,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2015 12:59PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 20, 2015 01:03PM
Ok thanks, i will try that smiling smiley But do you have any idea why the Hotend moved away from its original position?
September 20, 2015 01:11PM
It looks to me that your X axis has skipped a lot of steps at one point after several layers. Perhaps the nozzle caught on a blob. Check that the grub screw in the X motor pulley is tight, and try the same print again.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 20, 2015 01:38PM
Tigthened everything again and put the trimpot in its original position, it seemed like it was set to a lower voltage, so that maybe was a problem. lets see how this print turns out.

EDIT: Seems to work again, thanks smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2015 02:43PM by strawmedia.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login