Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nothing Sticks

Posted by PARADOXICLES 
Nothing Sticks
November 04, 2015 05:09PM
a while ago i posted about my last quarter of a print the layers not sticking... then it became only the first quarter would stick..... then first layers.... now nothing will stick

i have both PLA and ABS, i have tried all the standards, and lots of my own creations, different bed coattings, different temps, different shim guages when leveling, having it touch the bed..... every option and combination of options i can think of.... but nothing will let layers stick.

when i hit extrude, it extrudes fine, but when its "printing" it either makes a ball of goo around the nozzle... or... it prints pretty much nothing, just tiny little speck blobs... neither one sticks or makes a pattern.

why cant i print? ive been trying for weeks and weeks and it just dosnt work.
Re: Nothing Sticks
November 04, 2015 05:17PM
Calibrate your z steps???

Can you take a pic

Have tried hairspray??
November 04, 2015 05:47PM
everything has already long been calibrated.... as i said above, it was pritjng, then slowly got worse

hairspray didnt help when the thing was working right, makes even less of a difference now.... but here is a list of all the things ove tried

bare glass
frosted ( sandblasted) glass
hair spray
hair spray with micro glass bubbles
printer paper
construction paper
tracing paper
sanded down printer, construction, and tracing paper
abs glue ( abs + acetone)
elmers glue
elmers glue with micro glass bubbles
blue painters tape
masking tape
plastic masking tape
packaging tape
aluminum tape
nail polish
elmers glue on paper
nailpolish on paper
abs glue on paper

.... i think thats all.... some worked better then others , but now none will work. .... and oh, as for pics, i cant really take a pic of nothing.
November 04, 2015 07:21PM
Take a picture anyway. What you are describing could be different than what im imagining.

How did you verify that your calibrations were correct?
November 04, 2015 07:23PM
Maybe your pla is old/wet
November 04, 2015 08:06PM
Upload a video from the end of the heat up till the print fails on the bed.
November 04, 2015 10:01PM
i have shim guages as i mentioned, as well as calipers, also bubble level some times.
November 04, 2015 10:04PM
no...its, its not.... and that wouldnt explain the abs as well,
November 04, 2015 10:10PM
it fails inatany, it dosnt sticks from the first second.... its exactly like printing, except no object is made..... its the 3d printer version of airguitar
November 04, 2015 10:48PM
if you aren't willing to do the work, we can't help you. We can't imagine what your problem looks like.
November 05, 2015 01:49AM
PARADOXICLES
it fails inatany, it dosnt sticks from the first second.... its exactly like printing, except no object is made..... its the 3d printer version of airguitar

Sounds to me like you have to redo the calibration.
If your nozzle is not close enough to the bed when the print starts nothing will stick, it must be close enough to "push" the filament against the bed.
Some slicers have options for adjusting the extrusion rate for the first layer, so a setting above 100% (110%-200%) might "solve" your problem, but from my point of view it doesn't, it just masks it by putting a "skin colored band-aid" on it so to speak.

Even if you have done it once, things wear and tear so every now and then you will be forced to redo calibration, and possibly tighten some nuts/belts in your build.
November 05, 2015 05:05AM
I did not say anything but now I do:
You complain about failing prints, list all the things you tried and even say it is all calibrated.
Well, let me say one thing:
If all would be properly calibrated you prints would stick unless you constantly smear grease on your filament.
I already asked for a video as this would show more than any of your words or a picture...

You have two options:
A ) You work with the people here to solve your problem.
B ) You keep complaining and doing your thing.
Of course option B might give success one day but option A could actually save you a lot of time and filament....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2015 05:05AM by Downunder35m.
November 05, 2015 09:08AM
If it has been getting progressively worse and you are getting spurts and blobs instead of a steady stream, as you say, then it sounds like your nozzle has become clogged with a build up of charred/burnt plastic. You don't mention changing your nozzle or reaming it out. It could also be that your thermistor is not giving a good reading anymore.
November 05, 2015 09:15AM
all i do is recalibrate....... thats literally the only thing i can do......... i level out my z axis with calipers so each side is evenly raised, then i level out my 4 corners of the bed with a 0.1mm shim guage, the same size as my layer height..... ive tried smaller guages, bigger, just leting the nozel press on the bed with no space....... i tried all the bed coatings mentioned above

ive tried the offset settings, but it just makes things worse... its not a programming issue,.it was printing fine, the programming did not change untill long after problems showed up..... it has to be something physical
November 05, 2015 09:19AM
how dare you claim im not willing to do the work... ive been working on this peice of shit for like 2 years......... im.not gonna wast time recording nothing.... you can look at a blank screen if you lack the ability to understand what nothing is...... ill try explaining for you once more.... take the filiment out of your pritner, then tell it to print..... the result you get is the same.... nothing.
November 05, 2015 09:27AM
thanks, but checked that.... when i tell it to extrude with the extrude button, it extrudes fine, it just dosnt work when printing..... but i cleaned it out really good any way, let it soax in aceton and disolve out everything, got it back to bare metal

i have 4 thermisters ,and they all read the same..,... ive ordered another 15 for spares(/cuz i always break the tiny wires) and to try, but im sure they will match all the others, which read room temp, body temp, and other tests accuratly...... i tried comparing with a laser thermometer, but shiny glass and metal dont let it read temps properly.
November 05, 2015 09:29AM
Post your slicer settings.

EDIT: And your configuration.h
+ what does your shim gauges tell you when Z=0?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2015 09:43AM by Koenig.
November 05, 2015 01:41PM
And stop being stubborn and post a video or at least pictures.
November 05, 2015 04:15PM
PARADOXICLES
how dare you claim im not willing to do the work... ive been working on this peice of shit for like 2 years......... im.not gonna wast time recording nothing.... you can look at a blank screen if you lack the ability to understand what nothing is...... ill try explaining for you once more.... take the filiment out of your pritner, then tell it to print..... the result you get is the same.... nothing.

I think that the suggestion that you are not willing to do the work relates to your reluctance to provide pictures or video. There is a significant difference between "not sticking" and "printing nothing". The first suggests that filament is extruding in lines on the bed but simply does not adhere. As the head rises up the z axis you get a mess. The second suggests that your printer goes through the motion and simply no filament is extruded. This confusion is the reason everyone keeps asking for pictures or a video. A video or images would help greatly in the diagnosis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2015 04:19PM by MichaelBrock.
November 05, 2015 04:18PM

how dare you claim im not willing to do the work
Well you might be fiddling on your thing for two years but you fail to follow any suggestion here or to at least give a proper response to it.
So why exactly should we continute to run in circles here? winking smiley
November 06, 2015 03:12AM
Clear the glass plate, cover in a clean layer of Kapton tape.
Calibrate using the A4 printer paper method.
Add a layer of ABS juice and abs will stick.
Print using "Raft" option.

Do not ignore what people are asking and suggesting. We have all been through this and know what solved it in our own printers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 03:13AM by GRAYWOLF.
November 09, 2015 09:55AM
it is very difficult to give advice that could help solve your problem looking at a blank screen, which is not our problem, why having such attitude towards members that are only here to help.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2015 09:56AM by deaconfrost.
November 09, 2015 08:56PM
PARADOXICLES
im.not gonna wast time recording nothing....
You wouldn't be recording nothing - you would be showing us EXACTLY what happens when you try to print.

Is the extruder turning?
Is raw filament going into the extruder?
Is molten filament coming out of the hot end?
Is the molten filament flowing freely as a continuous thread, or is it coming out intermittently?
Is the melted filament thread laying down onto the print bed or hanging in thin air?
Etc ...

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a 25 fps video is worth 25,000 words per second!

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login