Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Walls grow higher than infill?

Posted by pengpengpete 
Walls grow higher than infill?
November 27, 2015 07:55PM
Hi,

I have a strange effect when printing anything higher than about 5mm. A test object 20x20x5mm prints allright (result has right measures), but when printing anything higher, the walls seem to grow higher than the infill. The nozzle actually bends the walls when printing. I followed Triffids calibration and found an extruder steps setting that filled the top fill of the 20x20x5mm object just fine, so I figured I don't overextrude, but higher objects seem to indicate something else. How do I go about that?

Printer is a MendelMax 1.0 with a Wade extruder supposedly with a 0.5mm nozzle.

Cheers, Peter
Re: Walls grow higher than infill?
November 28, 2015 03:49AM
Please post a picture showing the layers and one showing the perimeters and infill, and the slicer settings, which slicer, extrusion width, layer height.

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
November 28, 2015 05:08AM
Here are my settings and the picture of the result.
Attachments:
open | download - SlicerSettings1.png (32.5 KB)
open | download - SlicerSettings2.png (31 KB)
open | download - SlicerSettings3.png (24.9 KB)
open | download - SlicerSettings4.png (34.9 KB)
open | download - SlicerSettings5.png (18.9 KB)
open | download - SlicerSettings6.png (26.5 KB)
open | download - highWalls.jpg (69.5 KB)
open | download - Layers.jpg (21.7 KB)
November 28, 2015 09:08AM
You are extruding too much.
You ship looks like it drowned in plastic winking smiley
November 28, 2015 09:55AM
Agreed, it's way over extruding. Here's a yt video how you can fine tune the extruder:
http://zennmaster.com/random-things/reprap-101-calibrating-your-extruder-part-2-fine-tuning

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
November 29, 2015 06:51AM
The infill is absorbing the excess plastic, so it is not building up there.
November 29, 2015 06:57AM
Thanks for all the help, guys.

I tried following the youTube tutorial on calibrating. And results look ok on a test cube and on the suggested test object with a one line thick wall, but on the little boat I still have the same problem.

@RRuser. What would you suggest, I do about that? Less infill?
November 29, 2015 11:47PM
Shot in the dark, IF your extrusion is fine, your edges might be curling up. Can you post a new photo of the boat failing?
December 05, 2015 02:36PM
Try changing slicer config > Print Settings > Advanced > Overlap : Infill / perimeter overlap to -20% ( yes, a negative value ).

If the infill overlays the perimeter too much, then the infill sits on top of the perimeter, and the next layer builds up on top of that, and gets worse each layer.

The overlap seems to work on the center of each line so an overlap of even 0% is causing the infill and perimeters to crash in to each other.
December 05, 2015 03:33PM
That is an interesting difference to keep in mind if working with different slicers...
S3D works the other way around from what I can see, the infill at zero overlap stops right in front of the perimeter line.
December 05, 2015 03:38PM
the version of slic3r that I am using seems to take 0% as the center of the 2 lines touching ( so 50% of each line is overlapping )
December 08, 2015 06:38AM
On 1.2.9, I have always used 15% overlap with no problems and no raised walls.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login