Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Small prints lift off bed and stick to nozzle.

Posted by kenblu24 
Small prints lift off bed and stick to nozzle.
November 29, 2015 01:22PM
I've got a bunch of small prints that just don't want to stick to the bed. The object I'm trying to print has a small footprint but brims and rafts don't help. At some point during the print, the whole thing just lifts off the bed and adheres itself to the nozzle. My printer is a Q3D Threeup with an E3D v6 .4mm nozzle. I'm printing with Hatchbox Silver PLA 1.75 (measured to be 1.7 ish) I've tried printing at layer heights ranging from .03 to .2mm, tried slowing down the print, tried using painter's tape instead of printing directly on the heated bed, tried changing bed temps (60C - 80) and hotend temps (180-190), turning on/off fan, pointing a more powerful fan at the print, etc.

The print for this object is failing at about 10-20mm high when printing at low layer heights, and at 25 mm high when printing at .2mm layers.

The print for this object is failing at about 1.8 mm high when printing at low layer heights on a basalt heated bed, and failed at 4.2mm high when printing at low layer heights on heated Frogtape.

If possible I'd like to avoid using rafts as they don't seem to come off very well at low layer heights. One of my suspects for the print coming off is that my extrusion width/multiplier is a bit off, but I'm not sure how to accurately adjust this.
Re: Small prints lift off bed and stick to nozzle.
November 29, 2015 04:07PM
I print at 210-220 when printing PLA with my E3Dv6.

Try raising temperature.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
November 29, 2015 07:31PM
If it does not stick to anything then I suggest to do the entire calibration for steps on the moving axis and the extruder.
Also double check your z-height when the print starts!
Many people adjust their z-endstop with a feeler gauge or postcard - this can end up bad.
The printer assumes the heigth with the postcard would be zero, so it prints that amount higher into thin air.
It is better to get something that is as thick as the first layer height and to stop the print right when it started.
Now you have the actual print height for the first layer and if that differs you adjust the endstop accordingly.
A good guide for the calibration can be found here.
November 30, 2015 03:36AM
Downunder35m
If it does not stick to anything then I suggest to do the entire calibration for steps on the moving axis and the extruder.
Also double check your z-height when the print starts!
Many people adjust their z-endstop with a feeler gauge or postcard - this can end up bad.
The printer assumes the heigth with the postcard would be zero, so it prints that amount higher into thin air.
It is better to get something that is as thick as the first layer height and to stop the print right when it started.
Now you have the actual print height for the first layer and if that differs you adjust the endstop accordingly.
A good guide for the calibration can be found here.
Well, I know a lot of people doing this with great success. Most people I know actually.
There are 2 reasons to do this:
1) level the bed (main reason)
2) get distance between bed and nozzle.

Anyway, I would recommend doing a proper Z-offset calibration instead, which is very nicely, if a bit confusedly (is that a word) described here: [airtripper.com] Read it a couple of times and do it slowly and you will get good results.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login