Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Brass vs High Lubricity extruder nozzle

Posted by Ralphy 
Brass vs High Lubricity extruder nozzle
December 08, 2015 04:27PM
After a bunch of trail and error with my prusa i3 and some new Stringing issues I've come to the conclusion my original .4mm nozzle is worn out. I've been doing some analysis and I'm not sure how it wore out printing a roll of pla. When I go buy a new one I have the regular brass one for like 3 bucks and a silver looking high lubricity wear resistant one for like15-20 bucks. Anyone try both and compare results?
Re: Brass vs High Lubricity extruder nozzle
December 28, 2015 04:00AM
I think a nozzle can also wear out by dragging across the print.
December 28, 2015 11:29AM
I've been printing with the same brass nozzle for over a year and it shows no signs of wear. What makes you think the nozzle is worn out?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 28, 2015 05:19PM
1+
My 0.3mm nozzle has digested about 8 rolls of filament so far, no sign of wear at all.
And what again is the point of a fancy nozzle? The diameter won't change and I highly doubt it would have less friction.
Might be the reason why no seller I found can specify how much better they are LOL
December 31, 2015 07:21PM
One large advantage of harder nozzles (steel, stainless, etc) is abrasive filament, such as carbon-fiber PLA. They don't mind it, while it'll rapidly eat up a brass nozzle.
August 19, 2016 10:48AM
That makes sense thanks
August 22, 2016 09:01PM
My brass 0.5 nozzle haven't suffered any changes in over a year of use (don't print daily but at least twice a week) I clean it weekly and run a drill bit to check for any play, said that I replace my 0.4 brass nozzle on my other printer with a 0.4 ss nozzle and I don't know if is because of the thermal properties of the ss the prints come cleaner (it might be just because of new vs old) but i'm switching all my printers to ss nozzles.
August 23, 2016 09:47AM
ggherbaz
My brass 0.5 nozzle haven't suffered any changes in over a year of use (don't print daily but at least twice a week) I clean it weekly and run a drill bit to check for any play, said that I replace my 0.4 brass nozzle on my other printer with a 0.4 ss nozzle and I don't know if is because of the thermal properties of the ss the prints come cleaner (it might be just because of new vs old) but i'm switching all my printers to ss nozzles.

I'm curious to what you mean cleaner. Any chance you have a picture or two that will show the difference your referring to?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login