Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Layer width vs wall thickness

Posted by Michel000 
Layer width vs wall thickness
December 20, 2015 02:38PM
Hi everyone,

have a cylindrical object with a radius of 14mm on the outside and 11.6 on the inside, my printer has a 0.4mm nozzle and layer hight i want to use is 0.2mm

What layer thichness should you advise me to set to print this correctly with slic3r?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2015 04:00AM by Michel000.
Re: Layer width vs wll widtch
December 20, 2015 06:42PM
Layer height of 0.2 should be fine, extrusion width I would set in the 0.5mm region with 3 perimeters.
Depending on how good your printer can cool you might want to consider to print two or three of these objects at the same time.
This will allows each part to cool down after a layer and prevents sagging caused by the heat from printing on a small footprint.
Re: Layer width vs wall thickness
December 21, 2015 04:05AM
if i set extrusion width to 0.5mm i get only 2 permiters with a 0.2mm space between them making the part really weak.
Same thing happens when i use the default setting of 0.
December 21, 2015 05:46AM
Details....
December 21, 2015 01:42PM
if you need it strong - set it to 100% infill
December 21, 2015 05:01PM
You can adjust your extrusion width wider or narrower to accommodate the wall thickness.

Sane values for extrusion widths are > 1.05x, and < 1.7x nozzle diameter. This is detailed here: Slic3r Flow Math

So for your nozzle you can use extrusion widths of between 0.42 and 0.68mm. You might need to slow the perimeter speed if you use a wider extrusion width depending on your hot-ends max mm3/second. Wider extrusion widths = better layer bonding as the filament is more squished into the previous layer.

As a rule of thumb max layer heights should be less than nozzle diameter * 0.80, so < 0.32mm, with 0.2mm for regular layers being common.

Using 0, for auto will not allow you to adjust extrusion width for best fit (and can cause wide swings in extruder pressure).
December 21, 2015 05:05PM
Richrap has a good perimeter tuning tutorial here
January 03, 2016 07:04PM
Mine would commonly default to a 0.4 outer perimeter width, with a 0.4 nozzle. It would often not bond well at higher speeds, so I manually changed it to 0.48 like the rest, and it bonds well now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login