Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

nozzle touched heatbed +

Posted by Govahnator 
nozzle touched heatbed +
December 28, 2015 12:19AM
Hi guys,

I had another issue, my fault this time.
My nozzle touched the + of my heatedbed and shorted. Something is wrong with the ramps now, as the printer wont take commands anymore, the arduino still works fine.
Is there anything i can do to fix it? i have spare ramps around, with different issue wich i can cannibalize.

Thanks
Re: nozzle touched heatbed +
December 28, 2015 02:57AM
There should nothing happen if the nozzle touched them.
The only reason why something happens is because of a faulty hotend.
No connection from the thermistor to the nozzle and same for the heater - so no chance for a short.
But since you had the problem you will have to replace what's faulty, if the Arduino is ok, then replace the ramps.
December 28, 2015 09:10AM
Thanks for your reply, i dont really understand what you mean.
If it wasn't as problem than my ramps should be fine right?
December 28, 2015 11:52AM
It is possible that the hotend is somehow connected to either terminal of the heater cartridge, creating a loop through the nozzle. This would make sense because otherwise nothing would happen if you just touched the + or -. Anyway, it will be hard to tell what part of the ramps is broken. If you want, you can use one ramps to try and fix the other, but I would save the effort and get a new one (about $25 USD).

Master Tinkerer
December 28, 2015 11:56AM
Aren't the electrical connections to the bed heater normally on the underside of the bed?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 31, 2015 07:22PM
Examine the Arduino and RAMPS, look for scorch marks. Also, test the PSU.

I'm guessing you're using a heater cartridge with a metal shell? It's probably connected to the - of your PSU.
December 31, 2015 09:10PM
The heater cartridge is probably non polarized, so you should use a multimeters conductivity tester to probe the hotend and the + and - of the terminals where it is connected to see.

Master Tinkerer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login