Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Odd shape when printing

Posted by astrah 
Odd shape when printing
January 02, 2016 10:00AM
Hi, very new to 3D printing but think I am getting there. I was printing a replacement bracket for my Mendel but the bolt holes keep appearing as oval and not round. I have tried a couple of other prints and the same thing happens to them. I have re-calibrated my axis but the problem is still there.

I'm using a Bowden extruder, 0.4 hotend and the Z axis are 5mm threaded rods.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Re: Odd shape when printing
January 02, 2016 10:50AM
Is the height of the part ok?
If not it would indicate that your z-axis needs the steps calibrated.
Have you tried to print the part rotated so the holes are printed vertically?
January 02, 2016 12:52PM
Thanks for the advice. I think the parts are coming up short. I'll double check the z axis and adjust if necessary then reprint the part.
January 02, 2016 06:29PM
I say Z axis calibration as well.
Use this very nice calculator here: RepRap Calculator - Prusa Printers
Scroll down to Steps per millimeter - leadscrew driven systems, Then input everything you know. For me, this gave me a value of 4000 steps per millimeter.

Master Tinkerer
January 02, 2016 10:25PM
A calculator is a good start but in most cases it won't come close to the realty.
As said, assuming is one thing, confirming by measuring is making sure.
If you want to aim in on an error or problem you can not assume, you have to confirm all is they way you expect it to be winking smiley
According to the calculator I need 1660 steps for my z-axis, but to be on the true and correct side I need to use 1680 as otherwise the Z-axis start to run out after a few cm of printing.
January 05, 2016 06:56PM
Turned out it was the Z axis. One of the nuts on the threaded rods were popping out of the X axis motor mount bracket.

Thank you all for the help and advice.
January 05, 2016 07:23PM
Good you got it sorted!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login