Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware

Posted by yar60 
Firmware
January 08, 2016 04:18PM
I would like to know if anyone has the firmware for a "RepRap Prusa Mendel i3"H.I.C. print size L270*w200*180mm. Arduino Mega 2560 with RAMPS 1.4 that is all ready set up.I have been 3 weeks pulling my hair out (don't have that much to spare as it is) trying everything I can read, YouTube videos and this web site. Im 70 years old and would like to print something 3d printed before i die. damn I've had this thing for 4 months and still can't get it to do anything right it does 1/2 the job. I hate to say it but it's beat me.

Including a picture of the board and the printer.

any help thanks.
Attachments:
open | download - 20160102_161138_resized_2.jpg (244.7 KB)
open | download - 20151217_152115_resized_2.jpg (177.5 KB)
Re: Firmware
January 08, 2016 05:05PM
Right now it looks like you're printing albeit a little on the rough size. Have you calibrated the printer? Leveled the print head to the bed? These are important steps that need be undertaken if they haven't already.

[reprap.org]

Then things like what type of material are you using (PLA or ABS or another type) heat bed temp settings, hot end temp settings and all are another part of the equation.

There's a first print hall of shame somewhere in this forum, frankly your stuff makes you look like you're almost spot on. A few more details and I know (sucks reading all that stuff) and we might be able to help you dial in things.

Oh and I'm 61 so I understand completely the frustration!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2016 05:05PM by Viper97.
January 08, 2016 05:55PM
right now it printing with nylon, and it's printing 1/2 the height, I'll include a picture. Ya it driving me up the walls, it's not a plug and play thing. and here in Price, Utah I'm the only person with a 3d printer. I have read, view videos and still nothing. got the X and Y axis working but the Y axis is the one that is not working right, now every thing I try all I get is more errors and can't find information on how to fix them. so trying to find someone who has the firmware all ready to install. The box was 20mm*20mm*only 10mm should have been 20mm.

Thanks
Attachments:
open | download - box 1.jpg (484.6 KB)
January 09, 2016 03:06AM
If your printer runs Marlin, you can change the z-steps/unit with the "M92 Zxxx.xx" command. You can connect your board to pronterface and the bootscreen tells you the actual z-steps.
Double up this value and try out some dry z-moves. If the new value is good, send "M500" to store it in EEprom.

BTW: Nylon is not the best filament to start with, but when you succeed, you can print with anything.
-Olaf
Attachments:
open | download - pronterface_bootscreen.JPG (74.8 KB)
January 09, 2016 02:02PM
What pitch are your leadscrews? Use the "Steps per millimeter: leadscrew driven systems" calculator here to find the esteps.
Calculator

You can enter the new value with "M92 Zxxxx" as o_lampe said. (only if eeprom settings were enabled in the firmware)

If you find that you need to enable eeprom settings, you are better off stepping back and setting up the latest stable version of marlin for your printer. It's not worth the hassle to deal with old firmware, especially if you can't change the settings.

Master Tinkerer
January 12, 2016 04:28PM
Okay how do you program a marlin_screw.hex file?
January 13, 2016 01:59PM
You can't. You need the arduino files. You edit those, then compile & upload it to the board (in the .hex format, which is what you are looking at).
Without the original files, you can still upload the firmware (not sure how, but you should be able to flash the .hex), but you can't edit any settings or other parts of the code. Unless you can get a hold of the arduino files you will need to download and configure a fresh version of marlin. This way you will have your own arduino files to change the settings and recompile from. Setting up the new version of marlin is easy, but it is even easier if you have the settings from the old version to look at side-by-side.

Master Tinkerer
January 14, 2016 02:29AM
Haven't done flashing .hex files to atmegas before, but maybe it's worth looking for the AVRDude?
But as Montiey said, you can't change settings then.
Bite the bullet and brew your own Marlin firmware. Start with values you see in the bootscreen of pronterface.
-Olaf
January 14, 2016 02:20PM
I would say the same. I just set up the latest version of Marlin from the MakerFarm branch for my i3v. It has a bunch of new settings, so if you are unsure about how to set one, just ask around here. Most of the features that are optional are things like safety settings. Some of these include heater residency, min temp, and others. I recommend using ALL of the settings like this that you can. The later versions of marlin also feature bed leveling, and again, among many other things that you may find to be new.

Master Tinkerer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login