Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

is this pla too humid?

Posted by eried 
is this pla too humid?
January 30, 2016 12:56PM
Hello, I am finishing my prusa i3 calibration and the prints come almost OK, the walls have a weird effect (holes?) and I am wondering if someone expert in pla can tell me what is the issue. I have tested 2 filaments with the same effect (the natural pla also curls)

Hictop prusa i3
temp 220 / bed 60
speed 50 mm/s, tested in cura/slic3r with the same result
PLA 1.75 mm natural and green

Re: is this pla too humid?
January 30, 2016 03:14PM
Yor top surface looks fine but maybe a bit over extruded.
The sides can be several things:
Print temp too high causing the filament to bubble or be too thin.
Retraction settings not good (also indicated by the keyring).
Maybe something loose on the axis / bed causing slight shifting during movements but I doubt it.
January 30, 2016 08:46PM
Thanks so much for the diagnostic. I'll start lowering the temp
January 31, 2016 01:10AM
To some simple testcubes or similar to find the right settings for a new filament.
Start with the temp low and increase until you have good layer bonding, then do bridging test to confirm the filament won't droop too much or fail to form a bridge.
The rest is the basics of extrusion multiplicator and retraction to avoid overfilling, blobs and so on.
January 31, 2016 08:37PM
still no improvements... im thinking the extrusion is not very consistent :/ maybe the pla is not a good one... it was the cheapest one from ebay
January 31, 2016 08:45PM
If you have other PLA try it otherwise get a new roll elsewhere to try and compare.
Did you check for deformaties or badly cut areas from the extruder wheel?
Often those cause trouble in a very narrow cold end / heat break.
February 01, 2016 11:24AM
Check the diameter of the filament in several places. If it varies then the extruder can't deliver the same volumn of material consistently.
February 01, 2016 12:14PM
I checked it in several places and it is impressively precise, almost always 1.75 or 1.76 mm. The seller of the printer told me to see the "fill" settings to extrude more plastic. I am going to try to buy a better filament too this week to try
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login