Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS curling more at higher extrusion temperature?

Posted by barakori 
ABS curling more at higher extrusion temperature?
March 01, 2016 05:19PM
I'm printing a model with a relatively thin shell (think of a hollow box with 1mm shell width, but it's not really a box) on a 3D printer we have at work.
I'm printing in ABS at 250C / 110C (manufacturer recommended settings). The ABS warps a lot. Much more than on my personal Prusa i3.
For anything that's 10cm or more, the edges just bend too much, no matter how much hairspray I put.

So I went an bought a PEI surface, and now the ABS sticks to the heated bed quite well, but something's gotta give. E.g. if a part of my model is printed over some support, it detaches from the support and wraps. If the part is more solid and mostly touches the build plate, it will have cracks at various heights.

Comparing with my Prusa i3 (where I print at 225C/110C), I see a lot more wrapping. Is this because of the higher temperature?
I can only say that the printer at work is much better at overhangs - in my printer overhangs get curled and are just a mess.

So is higher temperature better? Worse? Is these something else that might be causing this?

Thanks.
Re: ABS curling more at higher extrusion temperature?
March 01, 2016 05:21PM
Please ignore this message, had some connection issues and posted twice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login