Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

catastrophic failure.... how to avoid in the future

Posted by Qdeathstar 
catastrophic failure.... how to avoid in the future
March 02, 2016 11:29PM
hello.

I was printing AFK today, using ABS... my heatbed uses a 24v supply, but the rest of the printer uses a 12v supply. It appears that the 24v supply went bad, the bed cooled, causing the abs to warp, bend up and break. It got stuck in my extruder fan blades, meaning that my extruder was no longer cooling... it looked like the abs melted all the way up into the Bowden tube....because I can't get the Bowden tube off,

any way to detect then the extruder fan has stopped blowing? maybe a thermistor in the cold end to stop printing if it reaches a certain temature..... unclogging nozzles is such a tedious thing to do!

arg.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2016 11:31PM by Qdeathstar.
Re: catastrophic failure.... how to avoid in the future
March 07, 2016 11:07AM
You should print and install a fan shroud (for the inlet) that will keep blunt objects from contacting the blades.
This is a shroud that (I think) is for a fan that blows outward, and PULLS air across the fins. I guess in that case you would want to keep the airflow away from the print. I thought of this because it would keep stuff from hitting the fan. Also, how is the heatsink fan positioned? Could you rotate it so it is more shielded by the carriage?

Master Tinkerer
Re: catastrophic failure.... how to avoid in the future
March 08, 2016 06:35PM
Maybe a Current sensor on the fan wiring?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login