Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nozzle diameter question

Posted by siderala 
Nozzle diameter question
March 04, 2016 07:50AM
ill keep it short.
i believe I have a .5mm Nozzle on my printer. last night I manually extruded some filament to measure, I measured many samples and they all were reading .74-.78 mm. is it possible that my actual nozzle diameter may be more around .75mm? or is this over extrusion of some sort?

thanks
Re: Nozzle diameter question
March 04, 2016 09:42AM
Were these samples fromthe the bed? If so, that sounds about normal, it leaves the nozzle at.5 but them get squished and flattened by the edges of the nozzle. This is by design, it makes the fiLament stick to the bed other layers and we'll as neighboring extrusions much better
VDX
March 04, 2016 12:22PM
... even when extruding in air the filament will be thicker than the bore.

This is normal and changes with material. temperature and extruding force/pressure -- in short: it's 'releasing' the pressure while beeing forced through the bore ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 04, 2016 01:01PM
DaGameFace
Were these samples fromthe the bed? If so, that sounds about normal, it leaves the nozzle at.5 but them get squished and flattened by the edges of the nozzle. This is by design, it makes the fiLament stick to the bed other layers and we'll as neighboring extrusions much better

no, I put the z axis up and turned the fan on to make it cool right away and grabbed it off the nozzle.

thanks.
March 04, 2016 05:16PM
That's what they refer to as the Die Swell

http://reprap.org/wiki/Filament#Die_swell_and_Stretching
March 04, 2016 06:10PM
It's a good question though. I have wondered why we don't work with the free air extrusion diameter as a proxy for nozzle diameter.
March 09, 2016 03:38AM
From my experience, the extrusion in free air is pretty close to the nozzle size.I was getting 0.4-0.5 from a 0.4 nozzle.

Are you trying to find out the nozzle size or is it part of a bigger problem? You can consider getting one of those nozzle cleaning sets of aliexpress/ebay. Just go thru the sizes and you can find out the nozzle size.
March 09, 2016 07:45AM
Mine is normally at least 0.1 over the nozzle size. In your case I wouldn't expect the nozzle is greater than 0.6mm. So it could be a 0.6 supplied in error or a poorly made (over size) 0.5mm.
March 09, 2016 01:11PM
chngyian
From my experience, the extrusion in free air is pretty close to the nozzle size.I was getting 0.4-0.5 from a 0.4 nozzle.

Are you trying to find out the nozzle size or is it part of a bigger problem? You can consider getting one of those nozzle cleaning sets of aliexpress/ebay. Just go thru the sizes and you can find out the nozzle size.

I am trying to confirm my nozzle size, its printing pretty well with .5 in the slic3r so for now i figure ill just leave it.

thanks everyone for the help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login